Re: [Synoptic-L] RE: [synoptic-l] Matthew's additions to Mark

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2003
      on 2/18/03 6:51 AM, Eric Eve at eric.eve@...

      > Secondly, I believe it has often been observed that within the Synoptic
      > Gospels there tends to be less variation in the wording of sayings material
      > than in narrative material. This may indicate that the tradition was more
      > conservative towards sayings material, which might help to indicate why,
      > even if Matthew's non-Markan sources were mainly or wholly oral, they would
      > be more reliable for words that for deeds. In any case, aren't aphorisms
      > precisely the sort of material one would expect to be relatively well
      > conserved in oral tradition, whereas narratives very easily get re-adapted
      > to each fresh telling?

      Not only in oral tradition, but in short-term memory, as is required by
      Auditory Piracy. You need only remember the punchline of a joke, you can
      rebuild the intro from the bones.

      So this sayings/narrative variation (new to me) can be seen as a datum
      favorable to AP and unexplained (as is synoptic variation overall) by any
      alternative model. Note that this variation is predicted *by* the model.

      Actually, you could read texts to undergrads and check the general
      reliability of their subsequent reproductions against what we find in the
      synoptics. AP predicts a good fit.

      This model is not versus Farrer, it concretizes Farrer.
      > Finally, this whole discussion assumes your point that Matthew's narrative
      > additions to Mark are clearly post-70, and I can't say that's something I've
      > been immediately struck by (although I'm perfectly open to the possibility
      > that many of Matthew's narrative additions to Mark may be Matthean
      > inventions). Neither is it immediately obvious to me that all the non-Markan
      > sayings material is either clearly pre-60 or obviously authentic; of course,
      > this is not exactly what you claim, since you refer not to 'all the sayings'
      > but to 'many of the sayings'. Thus I'm not entirely sure how far your
      > (effective) assertion that "the oral tradition available to Matthew [is] so
      > much more reliable for words (especially aphorisms) than for deeds" is a
      > fair description of the evidence. You seem to have moved from 'many of the
      > non-Markan sayings in Matthew's Gospels look more likely to be pre-60 in
      > origin while most of the non-Markan narrative looks post-70' to 'the sayings
      > material in Matthew's non-Markan source is more reliable than the narrative
      > material', and there may be a slight gap in logic there (although you may be
      > able to justify it with a more detailed discussion of the evidence). Again,
      > since you classify much of Matthew's non-Markan narrative as 'redactional
      > development of Mark' this clearly labels it as both post-70 (since I take it
      > that neither of us is proposing a pre-70 date for Matthew) and as not
      > derived from a source (and hence irrelevant to your argument).
      > Taken together, I rather think these three points dispose of this particular
      > objection to the Farrer hypothesis; but thanks for raising an interesting
      > question about Matthew's sources.

      Gentlemanly wet work, Mr Bond.