Re: [Synoptic-L] Le Clerc

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2003
      --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:
      > I wonder if anyone has any references to information
      > about Le Clerc first
      > scientific attempt to explain the origin of the
      > synoptics in his harmony
      > of 1669. I am writing a history of Luke's Gospel and
      > woulld welcome any
      > suggestions etc.

      Dear Fr. Sean:

      I believe you mean Jean Le Clerc (1657-1736), Harmonia
      evangelica cui subjecta est historia Christi ex
      quatuor evangelicis concinnata : accesserunt tres
      dissertationes de annis Christi, deque concordia &
      auctoritate evangeliorum (Amstelodami : sumptibus
      Huguetanorum, 1700).

      The more relevent work is Jean Le Clerc, Five letters
      concerning the inspiration of the Holy Scriptures /
      translated out of French.
      [London : s.n.], 1690.

      From two separate titles, Sentiments de quelques
      theologiens de Hollande sur L'histoire critique du
      Vieux Testament compos´┐Że par le P. Richard Simon and
      Defense des sentimens de quelques th´┐Żologiens de
      Hollande sur L'histoire critique du Vieux Testament,
      both in response to R. Simon's Historia critica
      Veteris Testamenti. Le Clerc's primary thesis which is
      still that held today by leading Catholic biblical
      scholars holds that Sacred Scripture is inspired but
      not dictated. He reached this conclusion through
      recensions of ancient manuscripts noting that no two
      authors in the OT wrote in the same style, a
      phenomenon that contradicted the sacris auctoris view
      of the medieval period, frequently depicted in art
      showing a dove whispering into the ear of a sacred
      writer dictating what to write. According to Le Clerc
      inspiration is based on authentic divine relevation
      but is reported by the writer in their own words
      expressing and communicating the esssential message
      God wishes to communicate. Consequently a sacred
      author would use language, style and form peculiar to
      their historical situation, and hence, this accounts
      for the differences among the Gospel accounts since
      each was communicating their sense of the essential
      message.

      Cordial regards,
      John

      =====