Re: [Synoptic-L] Vaticanus Gap (Not a Catholic clothing store chain)

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2003
      --- John Lupia <jlupia2@...> wrote:
      > --- Wieland Willker <willker@...-bremen.de>
      > wrote:
      > > For the lines in question (p. 1277, column C,
      > lines
      > > 21ff) Tischendorf
      > > notes: "membrana vitiosa".
      >

      > Guten Tag:
      >
      > First my brief comment made earlier was based on
      > sight
      > unseen. I never bothered to even look at either
      > photos, or anything else. My comment was off the top
      > of my head. The answer I gave was common sense.
      > Second, still speaking off the top of my head I can
      > say this: Tischendorf's comment is highly unlikely
      > if
      > not certainly wrong. Why? (1) any defective
      > parchment
      > was properly prepared and cured sufficient enough
      > PRIOR TO any writing; (2) a comment was made that a
      > lambda is visible having bled through indicating no
      > vitiosa. Is it still possible? Very, very, remotely.
      >
      > It would require physical inspection in situ or else
      > digital photos that are enlargeable in a
      > photo-graphic
      > software with the minimum capacity of Adobe
      > PhotoShop.

      Act in haste repent in leisure. (3) if a corrector
      had removed the upsilon as I suggested he *may have*
      removed the filler and preparation along with it and
      left the original vitiosa visible on the hair side,
      i.e., if there were a defect to begin with. This is
      why I cautiously stated it is very , very remotely
      possible. How important is this? Well, it would have
      interest to a text critic since it may be an indicaton
      of a variant that a later scribe corrected a little
      too enthusiastically.

      =====
      John N. Lupia, III
      31 Norwich Drive