Re: [Synoptic-L] Vaticanus Gaps

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
      At 06:40 AM 2/6/03 -0500, E. Bruce Brooks wrote:
      >I don't find these gaps mentioned in the standard handbooks and
      >descriptions. Does someone know of a published analysis or comment?

      Generally, a gap of a couple spaces (called a "spatium") is
      used to mark some internal division of the text, such as a
      paragraph. Other symbols were also to mark paragraphs. None
      of the ancient divisions have any necessary relation to the
      TR's verse divisions, which were invented by Robert Estienne
      in 1551 to assist in finding the corresponding Latin translation
      of the Greek in the Greek-Latin diglot editions of the N.T.

      As for a space inside of words, please check the facsimile
      closely. It could come about when a later corrector of the
      text of Vaticanus did not reinforce certain letters. Without
      looking that the facsimile myself I cannot be more helpful.

    • E. Bruce Brooks
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
        To: Synoptic-L
        Again On: Vaticanus Gaps
        From: Bruce

        Thanks, but you folks aren't looking at the manuscript, and you aren't
        considering my example. I had figured out the spacer functions (I mentioned
        them to get them out of the way). I also had figured out the initial letter
        in that column (the A of ARCH), the first column of Mark, that was
        apparently erased at some point in order to substitute for it a big initial
        A (in the left margin of the third column; overall page 1277). Erasure
        fairly clear; one can see traces of the original letter where it ought to
        have been; the one-character gap at that point is thus wholly accounted for.
        And at the top of that column, probably at the same time as the marginal A,
        is KATA MARKON and a bunch of other decorative stuff not originally there.
        No problem so far.

        The problem is that (# denoting a one-character space) the word IORDAN is
        written two ways in that column. The first time (line 21) there is a clear
        space between O and R, this IO#RDAN. The second time (line 42, bottom of the
        column) it is written IORDAN, without the space. All characters in both
        cases perfectly clear, not a problem of later re-inking or no re-inking.
        Presence of the space is also perfectly clear in the first case, and its
        absence is clear in the second case (so it is not some special scribal
        treatment of that one word on this page of this text).

        The first spelling, with the gap, seems unlikely to be a paragraph break.
        Any other suggestions?

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks
        Warring States Project
        University of Massachusetts at Amherst

      • E. Bruce Brooks
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
          To: Syn-L
          On: Vaticanus Gaps
          From: Bruce

          I have had two off-list suggestions on the Mk 1:4 IO#RDAN[etc] one-character
          gap in Vaticanus, and share them here in case other comment should be
          forthcoming.

          1. Jim suggests that the copyist might have been skipping a defect in the
          parchment. In my facsimile (not the best), there is at the gap a showthrough
          of the lambda from the corresponding line on the other side of the
          parchment. Transparency doesn't rule out a defect; it could be a transparent
          but uninkable defect.

          2. John suggests "possibly a scribal error corrected. IOURDAN with the
          upsilon removed." I admit that this had been my suspicion, and further, that
          influence from IOUDAIA (earlier in Mk 1:5) might be the source of the
          upsilon. IOUDAIA occurs 4x in GMk, 3x in close association with IORDAN[etc],
          and in Mk 3:8 also preceding it (in 3:7). Interference seems possible. The
          error can't have been immediately noticed, or the correction would have been
          written in the erased space. Enough additional text must have been written
          to make erasure impractical. For subsequent discovery and erasure, see
          further below.

          For the texts surveyed by Swanson (NT Greek MSS) for Mk 1:5, the form
          IOUDANH occurs in miniscules 28 (11c) and 565 (9c) as an apparent error for
          IORDANH elsewhere. That error doesn't recur in those (or any other) MSS in
          the other 3 occurrences in Mk. It would seem to be momentary. My guess would
          be that it is an error of the same type as the one in Vaticanus (4c), except
          that the extra upsilon has *replaced* the rho, rather than intruding itself
          before it.

          If later erased, the Vaticanus upsilon at Mk 1:5 is very cleanly erased,
          since the parchment seems to be transparent and undisturbed at this point.
          Compare the very first letter of Mk 1:1, an alpha erased so as to substitute
          the big marginal capital alpha at a later time. That erasure is messy and
          has left a disturbed area. Of course by that time both ink and parchment
          might have been in a different condition of erasibility.

          For the record, IORDAN[etc] occurs 4x in GMk, the other three being
          unproblematically written in all MSS collated by Swanson.

          Presumably the hypotheses of defective parchment vs erasure could be
          adjudicated by examining the original in a raking light. If anyone happens
          to have done this, a report would be welcome. So would any additional
          comments on these or other possibilities. Thanks much for comments so far.

          Bruce

          E Bruce Brooks
          Warring States Project
          University of Massachusetts at Amherst

        • John Lupia
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2003
            --- "E. Bruce Brooks" <brooks@...>
            wrote:
            In my facsimile (not the best), there is
            > at the gap a showthrough
            > of the lambda from the corresponding line on the
            > other side of the
            > parchment. Transparency doesn't rule out a defect;
            > it could be a transparent
            > but uninkable defect.

            No. *ALL* parchments tend to have a transparency
            inherent in the nature of the media and the bleed
            through is normal.

            =====
            John N. Lupia, III
            31 Norwich Drive