[Synoptic-L] Vaticanus Gaps

  • E. Bruce Brooks
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
      To: Synoptic-L
      On: Vaticanus Gaps
      From: E Bruce Brooks

      In comparing citations of Codex Vaticanus with a facsmile of Codex
      Vaticanus, I notice that the V scribe has left gaps of approximately 1 to 3
      characters (but sometimes extended all the way to the right of the column)
      at various points in his text. Many of these coincide with TR verse
      divisions, but some do not. At least one that does not occurs in the middle
      of a word, thus (representing a one-character gap by the symbol #):

      Mk 1:5 IO#RDAN

      and lower down that same column, compare

      Mk 1:9 IORDAN.

      I don't find these gaps mentioned in the standard handbooks and
      descriptions. Does someone know of a published analysis or comment?

      Bruce

      E Bruce Brooks
      Warring States Project
      University of Massachusetts at Amherst

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
        At 06:40 AM 2/6/03 -0500, E. Bruce Brooks wrote:
        >I don't find these gaps mentioned in the standard handbooks and
        >descriptions. Does someone know of a published analysis or comment?

        Generally, a gap of a couple spaces (called a "spatium") is
        used to mark some internal division of the text, such as a
        paragraph. Other symbols were also to mark paragraphs. None
        of the ancient divisions have any necessary relation to the
        TR's verse divisions, which were invented by Robert Estienne
        in 1551 to assist in finding the corresponding Latin translation
        of the Greek in the Greek-Latin diglot editions of the N.T.

        As for a space inside of words, please check the facsimile
        closely. It could come about when a later corrector of the
        text of Vaticanus did not reinforce certain letters. Without
        looking that the facsimile myself I cannot be more helpful.

      • E. Bruce Brooks
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          To: Synoptic-L
          Again On: Vaticanus Gaps
          From: Bruce

          Thanks, but you folks aren't looking at the manuscript, and you aren't
          considering my example. I had figured out the spacer functions (I mentioned
          them to get them out of the way). I also had figured out the initial letter
          in that column (the A of ARCH), the first column of Mark, that was
          apparently erased at some point in order to substitute for it a big initial
          A (in the left margin of the third column; overall page 1277). Erasure
          fairly clear; one can see traces of the original letter where it ought to
          have been; the one-character gap at that point is thus wholly accounted for.
          And at the top of that column, probably at the same time as the marginal A,
          is KATA MARKON and a bunch of other decorative stuff not originally there.
          No problem so far.

          The problem is that (# denoting a one-character space) the word IORDAN is
          written two ways in that column. The first time (line 21) there is a clear
          space between O and R, this IO#RDAN. The second time (line 42, bottom of the
          column) it is written IORDAN, without the space. All characters in both
          cases perfectly clear, not a problem of later re-inking or no re-inking.
          Presence of the space is also perfectly clear in the first case, and its
          absence is clear in the second case (so it is not some special scribal
          treatment of that one word on this page of this text).

          The first spelling, with the gap, seems unlikely to be a paragraph break.
          Any other suggestions?

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
            To: Syn-L
            On: Vaticanus Gaps
            From: Bruce

            I have had two off-list suggestions on the Mk 1:4 IO#RDAN[etc] one-character
            gap in Vaticanus, and share them here in case other comment should be
            forthcoming.

            1. Jim suggests that the copyist might have been skipping a defect in the
            parchment. In my facsimile (not the best), there is at the gap a showthrough
            of the lambda from the corresponding line on the other side of the
            parchment. Transparency doesn't rule out a defect; it could be a transparent
            but uninkable defect.

            2. John suggests "possibly a scribal error corrected. IOURDAN with the
            upsilon removed." I admit that this had been my suspicion, and further, that
            influence from IOUDAIA (earlier in Mk 1:5) might be the source of the
            upsilon. IOUDAIA occurs 4x in GMk, 3x in close association with IORDAN[etc],
            and in Mk 3:8 also preceding it (in 3:7). Interference seems possible. The
            error can't have been immediately noticed, or the correction would have been
            written in the erased space. Enough additional text must have been written
            to make erasure impractical. For subsequent discovery and erasure, see
            further below.

            For the texts surveyed by Swanson (NT Greek MSS) for Mk 1:5, the form
            IOUDANH occurs in miniscules 28 (11c) and 565 (9c) as an apparent error for
            IORDANH elsewhere. That error doesn't recur in those (or any other) MSS in
            the other 3 occurrences in Mk. It would seem to be momentary. My guess would
            be that it is an error of the same type as the one in Vaticanus (4c), except
            that the extra upsilon has *replaced* the rho, rather than intruding itself
            before it.

            If later erased, the Vaticanus upsilon at Mk 1:5 is very cleanly erased,
            since the parchment seems to be transparent and undisturbed at this point.
            Compare the very first letter of Mk 1:1, an alpha erased so as to substitute
            the big marginal capital alpha at a later time. That erasure is messy and
            has left a disturbed area. Of course by that time both ink and parchment
            might have been in a different condition of erasibility.

            For the record, IORDAN[etc] occurs 4x in GMk, the other three being
            unproblematically written in all MSS collated by Swanson.

            Presumably the hypotheses of defective parchment vs erasure could be
            adjudicated by examining the original in a raking light. If anyone happens
            to have done this, a report would be welcome. So would any additional
            comments on these or other possibilities. Thanks much for comments so far.

            Bruce

            E Bruce Brooks
            Warring States Project
            University of Massachusetts at Amherst

          • John Lupia
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2003
              --- "E. Bruce Brooks" <brooks@...>
              wrote:
              In my facsimile (not the best), there is
              > at the gap a showthrough
              > of the lambda from the corresponding line on the
              > other side of the
              > parchment. Transparency doesn't rule out a defect;
              > it could be a transparent
              > but uninkable defect.

              No. *ALL* parchments tend to have a transparency
              inherent in the nature of the media and the bleed
              through is normal.

              =====
              John N. Lupia, III
              31 Norwich Drive