Re: [Synoptic-L] Neville [was: Osbourne in Rethinking]

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      At 10:27 AM 1/31/03 -0500, Maluflen@... wrote:
      >In a message dated 1/30/2003 3:52:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, scarlson@... writes:
      >
      >> It looks like Osborne (sans "u") really got it wrong here. Yes, if
      >> Osborne's characterization of the data was accurate (and they're quite
      >> a bit more complicated in real life), then the shorter
      >> reading canon
      >> would tend to favor Matt. over Mark.
      >
      >If I am not mistaken, David J. Neville comes to a similar conclusion
      >(favoring, if anything, Matthean priority with respect to Mark)in a recent
      >Sheffield publication that studies in depth the so-called "argument from
      >order". I haven't had time to read the book in full, so someone who has
      >might wish to review it for the list.

      I'm reading through the new Neville now, and I don't quite see (yet)
      what you are referring to. Rather, Neville is analyzing the argument
      from order (both formal and compositional) and comes to the conclusion
      that this set of argumentation is indecisive with respect to solving
      synoptic problem. Whether that is true or whether that is a failure
      of nerve, I'll need more study to see, but I don't quite see Neville
      as being pertinent to Osborne's mistake -- they seem to address different
      arguments.

      I see to recall, though, that there as a proponent of the Griesbach
      hypothesis who did point out that the expansive nature of the Markan
      text should be considered an indication of Markan posteriority precisely
      on account of the text critical rule, but I cannot recall now exactly
      who it was who made that argument.

      >All arguments converge... though see,
      >of course, Peter Head for an opposite tending argument based on apparent
      >theological development in Matt. By the way, I found a copy of Peter's book
      >in a second-hand store recently, and bought it for $15. When I have time, I
      >would like to take up some of his interesting arguments in favor of Markan
      >priority on this list.

      I would like to see this.

    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        At 12:33 PM 2/1/03 -0500, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
        >At 10:27 AM 1/31/03 -0500, Maluflen@... wrote:
        > >All arguments converge... though see,
        > >of course, Peter Head for an opposite tending argument based on apparent
        > >theological development in Matt. By the way, I found a copy of Peter's book
        > >in a second-hand store recently, and bought it for $15. When I have time, I
        > >would like to take up some of his interesting arguments in favor of Markan
        > >priority on this list.
        >
        >I would like to see this.

        Me too.

        Pete

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Research Fellow
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608