Re: [Synoptic-L] Osbourne in Rethinking

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 31, 2003
      Leonard wrote:

      > You really should have heard of the principle. It is
      > quite standard in text criticism.

      Yes, I should have. Unfortunately, there are gaps in
      my knowledge of these things because I'm coming to
      this field of textual criticism from a different
      background and thus having to pick up knowledge as I
      go. Occasionally, my ignorance shows (which is why I
      generally try to be very circumspect on these
      listserves).

      Anyway, I'm not disputing that one should prefer as
      earliest the text from which the other texts are
      derived. I recognize that one looks for the text from
      which others are derived -- that's what we're doing
      with the Life of Jeremiah.

      I'd just never heard this stated as a principle, so
      I'm obliged to John for noting it.

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      Horace Jeffery Hodges (Ph.D., U.C. Berkeley)
      Assistant Professor
      447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411
      South Korea

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 12, 2003
        In a message dated 3/11/2003 8:27:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, jlupia2@... writes:

        Oui, Larry, vous ĂȘtes certainement correct.

        Cela veut dire: vous avez certainement raison!