[Synoptic-L] Osbourne in Rethinking

    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 30, 2003
      I'm just working on a review of _Rethinking the Synoptic Problem_ and
      there's a sentence that baffles me, but I'd really like to check that
      it's not just me. Grant Osbourne writes the last chapter in the
      book, a "Response" to the whole. When discussing the Griesbach
      hypothesis, he writes the following:

      "In other words, it is easier to explain the use of Mark by Matthew
      and Luke than it is the use of Matthew and Luke by Mark. For
      instance, while Matthew and Mark have a great deal of material in
      common, Matthew nearly always shortens Mark rather than vice versa.
      This fits a key text-critical criterion: the shorter version is to
      be preferred." (p. 142).

      But even if Osbourne's characterisation of the data were accurate
      (which it is not), the point of lectio brevior potior is that the
      shorter reading is more likely to be more original than the longer
      one, is it not? So if one were to draw source-critical conclusions
      on the basis of this text-critical criterion, and assuming Osbourne's
      questionable characterisation of the data, this would tell in favour
      of Matthaean Priority, wouldn't it? To me, this looks like a howler;
      do others agree?

      Thanks for your help
      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 12, 2003
        In a message dated 3/11/2003 8:27:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, jlupia2@... writes:

        Oui, Larry, vous ĂȘtes certainement correct.

        Cela veut dire: vous avez certainement raison!