Re: [Synoptic-L] The Aramaic-Greek transition

  • R. Steven Notley
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 14, 2003

      DaGoi@... wrote:

      What are the evident dividing lines between the aramaic use and the hebrew
      use in the first century?  I had thought also that the Qumran use of hebrew
      may be due to a back-to-basics counterculture one-ups-manship, or perhaps to
      the survival in literary use (but I've read in this thread that it was
      evidently a living growing language).  Is there any indication of who was
      more prone to use Hebrew as opposed to Aramaic or Greek (and what of that -
      all koine, or do the more formal instances stretch into attic?) and when?

      Bill Foley
      Woburn

      I know of no evidence of monolingual "pockets" in first century Judaea.  Certainly, the most widespread sector of society represented by proto-Pharisaism (and its successors) which most closely parallels the ethos and approach to scripture in the Jesus movement evidences familiarity and use of Hebrew (colloquial and literary), Aramaic and Greek. The same can be said at Qumran.

      I am not trying to posit Jesus in any one stream of Jewish piety.  Only to say that multilingualism cut across these sectarian/societal divides.

      The onus is on those who would seek to "exclude" any of these from first century use in Judaea.  The evidence for this exclusion simply is not there.

      I am certainly not suggesting that Jesus did not know and use Aramaic (sorry for the double negative).  I am only questioning why we need to take an Aramaic ONLY approach to the linguistic questions of the Gospels.  Almost all of the Semitisms in the NT touted at proof of Aramaic use by Jesus represent as easily Hebraisms.  The only reason they are not represented as such are the a priori assumptions (now clearly unfounded) of NT scholarship for 150 years concerning the linguistic milieu of first century Judaea.

    • R. Steven Notley
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 14, 2003
        Emmanuel Fritsch wrote:

        > > I am certainly not suggesting that Jesus did not know and use Aramaic (sorry for
        > > the double negative). I am only questioning why we need to take an Aramaic ONLY
        > > approach to the linguistic questions of the Gospels. Almost all of the Semitisms
        > > in the NT touted at proof of Aramaic use by Jesus represent as easily Hebraisms.
        > > The only reason they are not represented as such are the a priori assumptions
        > > (now clearly unfounded) of NT scholarship for 150 years concerning the linguistic
        > > milieu of first century Judaea.
        >
        > - "Lazare" is aramaic (vs "Eleazar" which is hebrew) and the case
        > in common with names in NT. (Is greek form of "Jesus" closer to
        > aramaic or hebrew ?)

        The Aramaic vs. Hebrew origins for names preserved in NT Greek is certainly open to
        question and tricky at best. Often what is presumed to be Aramaized Greek is merely
        the Greek style of representing Semitic names without any clear indication of whether
        that name was intrinsically Aramaic or Hebrew. Thus, Greek's tendency not to leave
        names ending with certain vowels (or consonants) and the appended sigma on the name of
        Jesus. It is possible that Jesus' name was pronounced Yeshu (IHSUS)but certainly
        included a final 'Ayin (without the furtive PetaH?) as first century epigraphical
        examples indicate. By the way, Matthew's play on the name Jesus in Matthew 1:21
        presumes Hebrew.

        In addition, in some inscriptions we find a linguistic mix. To cite a recent example
        (whether it is authentic or not), the putative ossuary of James included names that
        could be Hebrew or Aramaic (Yaakov, Yosef and Yeshua) with words that are Aramaic
        (BAR, AHUI). To complicate matters, terms such as BAR (as opposed to BEN) had become
        so commonplace that it appears fluidly in both Hebrew and Aramaic texts. In other
        words, it simply is impossible to deal with the data in a kind of "hermetically
        sealed" fashion that conclusive demonstrates "linguistic priority" one way or the
        other. Let's just take it at face value to signify a dynamic multilingual
        environment.

        > - without matching exactly geography, aramaic is supposed to be
        > more common in Galileae, and hebrew in Judeae.

        I repeat that every major first century Sage had roots in the Galilee and their
        sayings (apart from Hillel) are remembered in Hebrew.

        > Sorry for not giving references and precisions. These are old
        > remembers. But if right, they show that aramaic priority is
        > not so unfounded as you say. Who helps ?

        The phrase that started this discussion was to "Aramaic ONLY". "Linguistic priority"
        is a different question, and raises further issues of context (i.e. market vs.
        synagogue, etc.).

        > a+
        > manu

        regard,
        R. Steven Notley
        Nyack College NYC

      • Ron Price
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 14, 2003
          John Poirier wrote:

          >The tannaitic Rabbis who opposed the religious use of Aramaic were usually
          >open to the religious use of Greek. There is nothing at all strange about
          >a first-century Jerusalem-based community writing in Greek, especially
          >when the writing in question might be intended for a wider readership.

          John,

          I still think it less likely if it required translating and thus
          hiding the words which Jesus actually spoke (whether in Aramaic or
          Hebrew).

          But either way the problem remains for the Farrer and 2ST theories.
          Where is the evidence of any such writings? Farrer provides no clue, and
          the 2ST only has the hypothetical document Q supposedly originating in
          *Galilee*.

          Ron Price

          Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

          e-mail: ron.price@...

        • Ron Price
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 14, 2003
            Larry Swain wrote:

            >Just a quick note, but it should not need to be said
            >that James, the brother of the Lord, was NOT in any
            >tradition I know of, one of the *original* followers
            >of Jesus, which is of course what your comments were
            >predicated upon.

            Larry,

            That's if you take Mark's presentation of James and Peter at face
            value, which I don't.
            Trocme and Weeden have argued persuasively that Mark deliberately
            denigrated the original disciples. I take this to its logical conclusion
            to deduce that James was the leading disciple all along. There is
            support for this in the suspiciously casual introduction of James as
            leader in Acts 12:17, and in the coincidence (??) in the naming of the
            prominent trio ( James, Peter, John) in both the pre-crucifixion
            synoptic setting and the post-crucifixion Galatians setting.

            Ron Price

            Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

            e-mail: ron.price@...

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 14, 2003
              In a message dated 1/14/2003 10:14:39 AM Pacific Standard Time, ron.price@... writes:

              That's if you take Mark's presentation of James and Peter at face
              value, which I don't.
                Trocme and Weeden have argued persuasively that Mark deliberately
              denigrated the original disciples. I take this to its logical conclusion
              to deduce that James was the leading disciple all along. There is
              support for this in the suspiciously casual introduction of James as
              leader in  Acts 12:17, and in the coincidence (??) in the naming of the
              prominent trio ( James, Peter, John)  in both the pre-crucifixion
              synoptic setting and the post-crucifixion Galatians setting.

              You would have to spell out your logic here in somewhat more detail, and in the process perhaps also introduce the list to a full-blown Eisenmanian approach. Is it at all significant that the names you mention never appear in the NT in the order you give, either literally or by implication? And I don't think the Zebedee James has ever been confused by anybody with James the brother of the Lord, even if the other James in the apostolic lists may at times have suffered that confusion. Are you saying that Mark (or whoever) was unable to remove the name James entirely from the Jesus tradition, even though he would like to have, so he made up the idea of a Zebedee family which -- lo and behold -- had a James in it too? Or, what exactly are you saying here?

              Leonard Maluf
            • Ron Price
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 15, 2003
                I wrote:

                >> I still think it less likely if it required
                >> translating and thus
                >> hiding the words which Jesus actually spoke (whether
                >> in Aramaic or Hebrew).

                Larry Swain replied:

                >Based upon what Ron? .....
                >Even if Jesus taught principally in Aramaic it does
                >not follow that "translation" would have presented any
                >difficulty in a multilingual environment. Unlike most
                >students of NT Greek who struggle with a passage, the
                >multilingual easily switch.

                Larry,

                I didn't mean that translation would have presented any *technical*
                difficulty. I meant that there would have been a special preciousness in
                the very words which Jesus spoke, as is evidenced in Mark's retention of
                Aramaic in e.g. Mk 5:41 in spite of the expectation (based on the fact
                that he provided the Greek translation) that his readers would not
                understand the words.

                Ron Price

                Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

                e-mail: ron.price@...

              • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 15, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/15/2003 12:06:45 PM Central Standard Time, ron.price@... writes:

                  I didn't mean that translation would have presented any *technical*
                  difficulty. I meant that there would have been a special preciousness in
                  the very words which Jesus spoke, as is evidenced in Mark's retention of
                  Aramaic in e.g. Mk 5:41 in spite of the expectation (based on the fact
                  that he provided the Greek translation) that his readers would not
                  understand the words.

                  Ron Price

                  Most scholars, however, doubt that these are the very words Jesus spoke on this occasion.  Presumably, Mark thought they were or he would not have rendered them verbatim.  But it seems to me we need to develop a theory for these Aramaic sayings that does not rely upon them being precious simply because Jesus spoke them, but rather because the tradition attributed them to him.  Why, for instance, would "little girl, arise" be so sacred that they would be reproduced in the original language, but the words of the Eucharist would not?

                  Ed Tyler

                • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 15, 2003
                    Ron Price and Larry Swain are discussing this topic,
                    but I'm receiving only Ron's posts.

                    Is anyone else experiencing this?

                    Jeffery Hodges

                    =====
                    Horace Jeffery Hodges, Ph.D. (University of California, Berkeley)
                    Assistant Professor
                    447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                    Yangsandong 411
                    South Korea

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 15, 2003
                      In a message dated 1/15/2003 2:56:05 PM Central Standard Time, jefferyhodges@... writes:

                      Ron Price and Larry Swain are discussing this topic,
                      but I'm receiving only Ron's posts.

                      Is anyone else experiencing this?

                      Jeffery Hodges

                      In a word, yes.

                      et

                      Ed Tyler

                    • LARRY SWAIN
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 15, 2003
                        My fault I fear. I hit reply by habit, rather than

                        Larry Swain
                        --- Horace Jeffery Hodges <jefferyhodges@...>
                        wrote:
                        > Ron Price and Larry Swain are discussing this topic,
                        > but I'm receiving only Ron's posts.
                        >
                        > Is anyone else experiencing this?
                        >
                        > Jeffery Hodges
                        >
                        > =====
                        > Horace Jeffery Hodges, Ph.D. (University of
                        > California, Berkeley)
                        > Assistant Professor
                        > Hanshin University (Korean Theological University)
                        > 447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City
                        > Yangsandong 411
                        > South Korea

                      • Ron Price
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 16, 2003
                          Ed Tyler wrote:

                          >Most scholars, however, doubt that these are the very words Jesus spoke on
                          >this occasion [re "Talitha cumi" in Mk 5:41].

                          Ed,

                          I'm dubious about the originality of both the words and the setting.

                          > Presumably, Mark thought they were or he would not have
                          >rendered them verbatim. But it seems to me we need to develop a theory for
                          >these Aramaic sayings that does not rely upon them being precious simply
                          >because Jesus spoke them, but rather because the tradition attributed them
                          >to him.

                          Agreed.

                          > Why, for instance, would "little girl, arise" be so sacred that
                          >they would be reproduced in the original language, but the words of the
                          >Eucharist would not?

                          I have suggested on the Corpus-Paul list that Paul was the originator
                          of the words of the Eucharist.
                          So the simple answer is that I think these words probably originated
                          in Greek. They were never in Aramaic. This is partially supported by the
                          assessment of Aramaic scholars that "my blood of the covenant" (Mk
                          14:24) can't (according to M.D.Hooker, _The Gospel According to St
                          Mark_, London, A&C Black, 1991, p.342) be translated into Aramaic.

                          Ron Price

                          Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

                          e-mail: ron.price@...

                        • LARRY SWAIN
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 19, 2003
                            --- Ron Price <ron.price@...> wrote:
                            > Ed Tyler wrote:
                            >
                            > > Why, for instance, would "little girl, arise" be
                            > so sacred that
                            > >they would be reproduced in the original language,
                            > but the words of the
                            > >Eucharist would not?
                            >
                            > I have suggested on the Corpus-Paul list that Paul
                            > was the originator
                            > of the words of the Eucharist.
                            > So the simple answer is that I think these words
                            > probably originated
                            > in Greek. They were never in Aramaic. This is
                            > partially supported by the
                            > assessment of Aramaic scholars that "my blood of the
                            > covenant" (Mk
                            > 14:24) can't (according to M.D.Hooker, _The Gospel
                            > According to St
                            > Mark_, London, A&C Black, 1991, p.342) be translated
                            > into Aramaic.

                            Ron,

                            But Ed's overall point is still a valid one. One
                            would expect more than a few phrases or words of
                            Aramaic in a miraculous context to be preserved rather
                            than more extensive citations if indeed preservation
                            of Jesus' actual words in his actual language were in
                            any way important. Even groups which appear as
                            concerned with Judaism as Matthew's and the community
                            of the Didache write in Greek. If you maintain your
                            premise you are stuck with saying that Jesus made so
                            little impact that practically NONE of his
                            sayings/teachings were preserved in Aramaic since
                            almost all the preserved sayings, even those in Paul,
                            are in Greek.

                            Larry Swain
                            UIC

                          • Ron Price
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 20, 2003
                              Larry Swain wrote:

                              > If you maintain your
                              >premise you are stuck with saying that Jesus made so
                              >little impact that practically NONE of his
                              >sayings/teachings were preserved in Aramaic since
                              >almost all the preserved sayings, even those in Paul,
                              >are in Greek.

                              Larry,

                              On the contrary, in my synoptic theory Jesus' original followers
                              recorded 72 sayings attributed to Jesus in Aramaic, these being the 'TA
                              LOGIA' referred to by Papias. The fact that these are no longer
                              preserved in their original language has nothing whatsoever to do with
                              Jesus' impact on his original followers. For his original Jewish
                              followers were all dead by the time the less parochial Christian
                              synoptic authors decided to write the stories of Jesus in Greek and to
                              incorporate translations of selected sayings from the Aramaic
                              collection.

                              Ron Price

                              Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

                              e-mail: ron.price@...

                            • Tim Reynolds
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 20, 2003
                                on 1/19/03 9:22 PM, LARRY SWAIN at theswain@... wrote:

                                > --- Ron Price <ron.price@...> wrote:
                                >> Ed Tyler wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> Why, for instance, would "little girl, arise" be
                                >> so sacred that
                                >>> they would be reproduced in the original language,
                                >> but the words of the
                                >>> Eucharist would not?
                                >>
                                >> I have suggested on the Corpus-Paul list that Paul
                                >> was the originator
                                >> of the words of the Eucharist.
                                >> So the simple answer is that I think these words
                                >> probably originated
                                >> in Greek. They were never in Aramaic. This is
                                >> partially supported by the
                                >> assessment of Aramaic scholars that "my blood of the
                                >> covenant" (Mk
                                >> 14:24) can't (according to M.D.Hooker, _The Gospel
                                >> According to St
                                >> Mark_, London, A&C Black, 1991, p.342) be translated
                                >> into Aramaic.
                                >
                                > Ron,
                                >
                                > But Ed's overall point is still a valid one. One
                                > would expect more than a few phrases or words of
                                > Aramaic in a miraculous context to be preserved rather
                                > than more extensive citations if indeed preservation
                                > of Jesus' actual words in his actual language were in
                                > any way important. Even groups which appear as
                                > concerned with Judaism as Matthew's and the community
                                > of the Didache write in Greek. If you maintain your
                                > premise you are stuck with saying that Jesus made so
                                > little impact that practically NONE of his
                                > sayings/teachings were preserved in Aramaic since
                                > almost all the preserved sayings, even those in Paul,
                                > are in Greek.
                                >
                                > Larry Swain
                                > UIC

                                You can say "my blood of the covenant" in Hebrew, why not in Aramaic?

                                tim

                              • DaGoi@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 21, 2003
                                  In a message dated 1/21/3 12:40:35 AM, (so interwoven i have to say "I read":

                                  <<on 1/19/03 9:22 PM, LARRY SWAIN at theswain@... wrote:

                                  > --- Ron Price <ron.price@...> wrote:
                                  >> Ed Tyler wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Why, for instance, would "little girl, arise" be
                                  >> so sacred that
                                  >>> they would be reproduced in the original language,
                                  >> but the words of the
                                  >>> Eucharist would not?

                                  Because this is not a magical formula, but a prophetic shared experience and
                                  so it was important to understand the words while the cult was relatively
                                  new. When it got old and aquired a bit of cultural authority then it'd be
                                  prone to being holy stale.

                                  <<
                                  You can say "my blood of the covenant" in Hebrew, why not in Aramaic?

                                  tim

                                  if there is a reason, maybe that's why the scripture wasn't translated into
                                  Aramaic: couldn't do Ex 24.8. hmm, is there an aramaic targum on exodus
                                  24.8?

                                  Bill Foley
                                  Woburn