Re: [Synoptic-L] Nickle

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:34:37 -0000 Mark Goodacre <M.S.Goodacre@...>
      wrote:
      > Happy New Year to all. I'm just working through Keith F. Nickle,
      > _The Synoptic Gospels: An Introduction_ (Revised and Expanded
      > Edition; Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2001). I'm disappointed,
      > though not surprised, to see that its treatment of the Synoptic
      > Problem is a bit confused:
      >
      > "Although most scholars today assume the priority of Mark, the thesis
      > of Matthean priority (Augustine's solution) is occasionally proposed"
      > (p. 90, with footnote 24 which cites first Farmer and then Butler).

      While misrepresentation of other's views is unfortunately not uncommon in this
      field, Farmer was an Augustinian for a brief period of time. If Nickle cited
      Farmer's "Skeleton in the Closet" article, then it might be technically
      correct but out-of-date in light of his SYNOPTIC PROBLEM.

      I suppose the real problem here may be Nickle's wording. Augustine's solution
      is only one species in the genus of Matthean priority, and it would be
      misleading to imply that they are the same.

      > and it is also ignorant:
      >
      > "Direct dependence of Matthew on Luke or the reverse seems excluded.
      > We have already seen that their common possession of Markan material
      > cannot be explained on this premise, since sometimes one and
      > sometimes the other is more literal in incorporating Mark." (p. 94).

      Yes, a real non-sequitur. Matthew and Luke's indirect dependence in some
      areas of their gospels does not imply indirect dependence in all areas.

      Stephen C. Carlson,
      mailto:scarlson@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        At 11:12 AM 1/7/03 -0500, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
        >On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:34:37 -0000 Mark Goodacre <M.S.Goodacre@...>
        >wrote:
        >> Happy New Year to all. I'm just working through Keith F. Nickle,
        >> _The Synoptic Gospels: An Introduction_ (Revised and Expanded
        >> Edition; Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2001). I'm disappointed,
        >> though not surprised, to see that its treatment of the Synoptic
        >> Problem is a bit confused:
        >>
        >> "Although most scholars today assume the priority of Mark, the thesis
        >> of Matthean priority (Augustine's solution) is occasionally proposed"
        >> (p. 90, with footnote 24 which cites first Farmer and then Butler).
        >
        >While misrepresentation of other's views is unfortunately not uncommon in this
        >field, Farmer was an Augustinian for a brief period of time. If Nickle cited
        >Farmer's "Skeleton in the Closet" article, then it might be technically
        >correct but out-of-date in light of his SYNOPTIC PROBLEM.

        Oh well, Nickle did cite Farmer's SYNOPTIC PROBLEM after all.