Re: [Synoptic-L] Response to Downing

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
      On 10 Nov 2002 at 13:40, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

      > Mark, thanks for sharing your upcoming article with
      > us. It was interesting -- and as Leonard has already
      > noted -- persuasive in its use of Josephus's
      > arrangement of Jewish laws.

      Thanks, Jeffery. This element needs some proper working out, but I
      am interested in what it may tell us about the physical aspects of
      working with source material in the first century.

      > I am wondering about the implications of redaction of
      > sayings versus narrative material for your fatigue
      > hypothesis. Would you expect more fatigue in the
      > former or the latter?
      >
      > Put differently, where would fatigue more likely occur
      > -- in quoting, rearranging, and editing large blocks
      > of narrative or in quoting, rearranging, and editing
      > small units of sayings material?

      I haven't given this as much thought as I would like, but it is an
      interesting question. My hunch would be that one would expect more
      (observable) fatigue to occur in narrative material because of the
      "continuity error" element, i.e. where a writer retains a feature
      from a source that is incongruous in his reframing of that story.
      Most of the examples in my article were in narrative material.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com