Re: [Synoptic-L] Response to Downing

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
      Mark Goodacre asked for responses:

      I'd be grateful for any feedback on my piece below
      ahead of my submitting it to a journal. With thanks,
      Mark.

      Mark, thanks for sharing your upcoming article with
      us. It was interesting -- and as Leonard has already
      noted -- persuasive in its use of Josephus's
      arrangement of Jewish laws.

      I am wondering about the implications of redaction of
      sayings versus narrative material for your fatigue
      hypothesis. Would you expect more fatigue in the
      former or the latter?

      Put differently, where would fatigue more likely occur
      -- in quoting, rearranging, and editing large blocks
      of narrative or in quoting, rearranging, and editing
      small units of sayings material?

      Best regards,

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411
      South Korea

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
        On 10 Nov 2002 at 13:40, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

        > Mark, thanks for sharing your upcoming article with
        > us. It was interesting -- and as Leonard has already
        > noted -- persuasive in its use of Josephus's
        > arrangement of Jewish laws.

        Thanks, Jeffery. This element needs some proper working out, but I
        am interested in what it may tell us about the physical aspects of
        working with source material in the first century.

        > I am wondering about the implications of redaction of
        > sayings versus narrative material for your fatigue
        > hypothesis. Would you expect more fatigue in the
        > former or the latter?
        >
        > Put differently, where would fatigue more likely occur
        > -- in quoting, rearranging, and editing large blocks
        > of narrative or in quoting, rearranging, and editing
        > small units of sayings material?

        I haven't given this as much thought as I would like, but it is an
        interesting question. My hunch would be that one would expect more
        (observable) fatigue to occur in narrative material because of the
        "continuity error" element, i.e. where a writer retains a feature
        from a source that is incongruous in his reframing of that story.
        Most of the examples in my article were in narrative material.

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
        Birmingham B15 2TT UK

        http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com