Re: [Synoptic-L] "James" the brother of Jesus

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2002
      The following list is far from exhaustive but I think
      you get the picture that this name we commonly use in
      English as James has a wide an variant form.

      (Italian) = Giacomo, Giacopo, Copo, Giacobo, Giacobbe,
      Jacopo, Iacopo, Iacovo, Giamo, (German & Polish) =
      Iakob, Iakobos, Iakov, Jakob, (English) = Jack, Jake,
      Jameson, Jamey, Jamie, Jamesy, Jamesie, Jaymes, Jim,
      Jimmy, Jimmie, Cob, Cobb, Cobby, James, Jacob,
      (French) = Jacques, Jaime, Jacot, (Spanish) =
      Santiago, Iago, Diego, Jaime, (Portugese) = Tiago,
      Iago, Dogo, Sant�Iago, Diego. (Scottish) Hamish,
      (Cornish) Jago, (Gaelic) = Seamus, Shamus, (Latin) =
      Iacaob, (Greek) = IAKWB, IAKWBOS, (Hebrew) = Yaakov

      Iago was the name of a character in Shakespeare�s
      Othello.

      =====
      John N. Lupia, III
      501 North Avenue B-1