Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Mark 14:38 as a Key to the Markan Audience

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2002
      Jeffrey, as you already know, I found your article
      very interesting, but like Mark Goodacre, I have a
      question about the same part of Section V:

      >>To put this another way: if we accept that the
      situation that Mark places the disciples in at
      Gethsemane is parallel to what Mark's community was
      facing when Mark wrote, then the audience to which
      Mark writes was one that was being seduced into
      thinking that God authorized his faithful to embrace
      the ideology and the praxis of holy war.<<

      I'm curious about the "sleeping" of the three
      disciples Peter, James, and John in verse 37 (and
      verses 40 and 41). Jesus, in verse 38, orders the
      disciples to stay awake and pray not to PEIRASMON.

      Since I, regretably, deleted the your email yesterday
      along with some other deletions, I couldn't recheck
      your article. How do you interpret the "sleeping"?
      Those who are sleeping would not, ordinarily, be in
      danger of taking up arms against the forces coming to
      arrest them.

      It would seem that Jesus is calling for the three
      disciples to maintain alertness to the coming attack
      but -- assuming your argument -- warning them to guard
      against responding in violence.

      Would you, then, see the author of Mark as calling for
      his readers to be alert to the coming attack but to
      guard against responding in violence?

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City