Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: True Kin Case study

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2002
      In a message dated 10/5/2002 5:07:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time, eric.eve@... writes:

      As an interpretation of what is going on in Mark's Gospel I would largely
      agree with this. Whether it's evidence for a late or an early Mark (in
      relation to Matthew) is, of course, another question.

      Thanks for this. But since the dramatization is at the same time in the nature of an application to more familiar Christian realities (the Gentile house church and its relationship to outsiders) it also implies a later setting, I think. But this will become clearer when I finally get around to giving my positive arguments for a GH model to explain Mk 3:31-35 and parallels.

      >Eric:

      >This is possibly so, but EIS OIKON also occurs at Mk 7.17 (apparently but
      not necessarily at Gennesaret) and Mk 9.27 on the way through Galilee
      from Caesarea Philippi but not yet at Capernaum where they apparently enter
      yet another house (Mk 9.33), although I grant that EIS OIKON means 'home' at
      Mk 8.3, 26 (although in both cases the sense is made clearer by the addition
      of AUTWN/AUTOU; cf. Mk 2.11 & 5.19 EIS TON OIKON SOU to send the former
      paralytic and the former demoniac home, or Mk 7.30 EIS TON OIKON AUTHS to
      refer to the home of the Syrophoenician woman - this seems to suggest
      that when Mark wants to use EIS [TON] OIKON to mean 'home' he qualifies it
      with a possessive pronoun). At Mk 7.24 the similar EIS OIKIAN appears in a
      context (the district of Tyre) where it can hardly mean 'home'. In would thus be
      in keeping with Markan usage to see Mk 3.20a as implying that Jesus went
      inside a house.

      Leonard:
      > This is a careless conclusion from the evidence.[...]>

      Eric:
      You call my conclusion 'careless' but you seem to agree with a great deal of
      what I say.

      By "conclusion", I meant the final statement above only, namely: "I[t] would thus be in keeping with Markan usage to see Mk 3.20a as implying that Jesus went
      inside a house." The conclusion is careless in the sense that it fails to take into account the fact that in every case where Mark wishes to speak unambiguously of entering a house, he uses the expression EISELQEIN EIS (TON/THN) OIKON/OIKIAN (TINOS), whereas he does not do so in 3:20. I ought to have (or, it was careless of me not to have) placed the definite article in parentheses in my original statement of this point, since it is not the article (or the genitive of person) that is essential here but rather the compound verb, as opposed to the simple verb ELQEIN. Where the latter occurs, the context often suggests, as I pointed out, a clear distinction between the "going home" and the "entering of a house", so that Markan expressions with ELQEIN ... EIS OIKON should normally be rendered "to go home", rather than "to enter a house".

      But is not what happens at Mk 3.20ff somewhat similar to what happens at Mk 2.1-12?

      I had not looked at this text at all, but it is very interesting, and does indeed seem to constitute a close parallel in many respects to the text we are examining.

      In each case Jesus interacts with scribes (Mk 2:6; 3:22) and with crowds (Mk 2:4; 3.20); the two pericopae are further linkes through implicit accusations of
      blasphemy (by the scribes against Jesus at Mk 2.7 and by Jesus against the
      scribes at Mk 3.28-30). To be sure, Mk 2.1 contains the phrase EN OIKWi
      ESTIN, not ERXETAI EIS OIKON as in Mk 3.20, but Mk 2.1-12 nevertheless
      provides a clear example of Jesus interacting with scribes and crowds from
      within a house, since Mk 2.4 (the stretcher bearers climbing up onto the
      roof and digging through it) would make no sense unless Jesus were inside at
      that point.

      Indeed. But I would like you to notice something here. On the GH, the house in question was introduced into this set of parallels by Luke, who was familiar with large Hellenistic houses which could accommodate a crowd. This is, however, clearly a secondary feature of the story. Matthew (9:1) has Jesus entering a town (his own, Capernaum, but not a house!) and being approached (for help) by a group of men carrying a lame man on a stretcher. A house is involved in this story ONLY when the cured lame man is told, after having been healed, to "pick up your mat and go home". In 9:9 Jesus "goes on" from there (does not exit from a house) to where he sees Matthew sitting at the tax-collectors' table. Luke's adding of this feature is a typical Lukan addition which attempts to answer a question posed by Matthew's text. For example, Matt 3:11 poses the question, why should John suddenly start contrasting his own identity with that of one who was to be the true Messiah of Israel? Luke attempts to clarify this in 3:15 when he writes: "The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah...". Similarly here, Matt had written, with reference to the men who had brought a lame man to Jesus when he entered the town: "And seeing their faith, he said to the paralytic..". Luke creates a scene in which the words "And seeing their faith..." (Lk 5:20) take on a new and concrete meaning. In the process, the entire scene gets moved into a house, where it could scarcely have fit, involving as it does "crowds", in its original Galilean setting. Accordingly, Luke has Jesus "exiting" (presumably the house) in 5:27, instead of "passing on" from there, as in Matthew (9:9). Mark basically follows Luke's form of the story here, though he seems to correct the references to the roof of the house to correspond more realistically to the houses that would have existed in first century Galilee, or would have been dwelt in more generally by the (social) level of individual Mark was writing for.

      Eric:

      Mark is therefore quite capable of constructing a scene in which
      Jesus has gone into a house and yet interacts with scribes and crowds. The
      links between these two scenes (in addition to those already mentioned Mk
      1.1-12 initiates the conflict between Jesus and the scribes while Mk 3.20ff
      brings it to a head) at least provide prime facie evidence that Mark
      envisaged (or, at the very least, could easily have envisaged) the two
      scenes as occurring in  the same or similar settings, so that both EN OIKWi
      at Mk 2.7 and EIS OIKON at Mk 3.20 refer to Jesus' being in or entering into
      a house.

      Possibly, but this conclusion may be hasty. It ignores, for one thing, the linguistic evidence noted above (namely the use of EISEQEIN .. EIS OIKON by Mark when he means to say entering a house, as opposed to going home). The two texts also differ in that a house and its parts (doors, roof, etc.) are clearly mentioned in the first, and are not mentioned even where they could be in the second. So, in spite of the parallel character of much of the material, I am not yet convinced that Mk 3:31-35 was understood by Mark to have taken place in a house.

      I apologize for suggesting that you may not have understood Goodacre's fatigue argument. Your paragraphs on this issue, which I have not copied here, both convince me that you did and help me to understand your valid critique of that argument as used by Mark G. in reference to the present set of Synoptic parallels.

      Leonard Maluf
    • Eric Eve
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
        Leonard Maluf wrote:

        > Thanks for this. But since the dramatization is at the same time
        > in the nature of an application to more familiar Christian realities
        > (the Gentile house church and its relationship to outsiders) it also
        > implies a later setting, I think. But this will become clearer when
        > I finally get around to giving my positive arguments for a GH model
        > to explain Mk 3:31-35 and parallels.

        You're welcome! I suppose the next question is "later than what?" I'm not
        quite sure when you want to date GMt, so it could well imply a setting later
        than the date you have in mind for that. I'm not convinced, however, that it
        implies a date later than some predecessor narrative Gospel. But I shall
        have to await your positive arguments.

        > By "conclusion", I meant the final statement above only, namely:
        > "I[t] would thus be in keeping with Markan usage to see Mk 3.20a
        > as implying that Jesus went inside a house." The conclusion is
        > careless in the sense that it fails to take into account the fact
        > that in every case where Mark wishes to speak unambiguously of
        > entering a house, he uses the expression EISELQEIN EIS (TON/THN)
        > OIKON/OIKIAN (TINOS), whereas he does not do so in 3:20. I ought
        > to have (or, it was careless of me not to have) placed the definite
        > article in parentheses in my original statement of this point, since
        > it is not the article (or the genitive of person) that is essential
        > here but rather the compound verb, as opposed to the simple verb ELQEIN.
        > Where the latter occurs, the context often suggests, as I pointed out,
        > a clear distinction between the "going home" and the "entering of a
        house",
        > so that Markan expressions with ELQEIN ... EIS OIKON should normally be
        > rendered "to go home", rather than "to enter a house".

        I think we have simply been drawing to different linguistic features here.
        Your observation is that Mark always uses the compound verb EISELQEIN when
        he means 'to enter a house' (and that this is lacking in Mk 3.20). My
        observation is that he always uses the possessive adjective when he means
        'to go home' (and that this is lacking in Mk 3.20). So it rather looks like
        the linguistic evidence points both ways! (I'm afraid I don't have time to

        > Indeed. But I would like you to notice something here.
        > On the GH, the house in question was introduced into
        > this set of parallels by Luke, who was familiar with large
        > Hellenistic houses which could accommodate a crowd. This is,
        > however, clearly a secondary feature of the story. Matthew (9:1)
        > has Jesus entering a town (his own, Capernaum, but not a house!)
        > and being approached (for help) by a group of men carrying a lame
        > man on a stretcher. A house is involved in this story ONLY when the
        > cured lame man is told, after having been healed, to "pick up your
        > mat and go home". In 9:9 Jesus "goes on" from there (does not exit
        > from a house) to where he sees Matthew sitting at the tax-collectors'
        > table. Luke's adding of this feature is a typical Lukan addition which
        > attempts to answer a question posed by Matthew's text. For example,
        > Matt 3:11 poses the question, why should John suddenly start contrasting
        > his own identity with that of one who was to be the true Messiah of
        > Israel? Luke attempts to clarify this in 3:15 when he writes:
        > "The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their
        > hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah...". Similarly here,
        > Matt had written, with reference to the men who had brought a lame
        > man to Jesus when he entered the town: "And seeing their faith, he
        > said to the paralytic..". Luke creates a scene in which the words
        > "And seeing their faith..." (Lk 5:20) take on a new and concrete meaning.
        > In the process, the entire scene gets moved into a house, where it could
        > scarcely have fit, involving as it does "crowds", in its original Galilean
        > setting. Accordingly, Luke has Jesus "exiting" (presumably the house) in
        > 5:27, instead of "passing on" from there, as in Matthew (9:9).
        > Mark basically follows Luke's form of the story here, though he seems to
        > correct the references to the roof of the house to correspond more
        > realistically to the houses that would have existed in first century
        > Galilee, or would have been dwelt in more generally by the (social)
        > level of individual Mark was writing for.

        Indeed, this looks like a good account of how things must have been on the
        GH. On the FH, one would give a rather different account; one would, for
        example, suggest that the Matthew's mention of "seeing their faith..." was
        an instance of fatigue (since Matthew has dropped the Markan details that it
        originally referred to). One would also suggest that Luke had basically
        followed the Markan form of the story while being influenced by Matthew's
        wording at several points (from memory I seem to recall there are about 12
        MAs in this passage, if one counts common omissions) and, perhaps more to
        the point, that he changed Mark's more appropriate mud roof (in the sense of
        being more realistic and more likely to have been dug through) to a tiled
        one that would have applied more to his urban setting (and thus perhaps one
        it is less plausible to envisage someone letting down a stretcher through) -
        but I'm sure you're already quite familiar with all that!

        > Possibly, but this conclusion may be hasty. It ignores, for one thing,
        > the linguistic evidence noted above (namely the use of EISEQEIN ..
        > EIS OIKON by Mark when he means to say entering a house, as opposed
        > to going home). The two texts also differ in that a house and its parts
        > (doors, roof, etc.) are clearly mentioned in the first, and are not
        > mentioned even where they could be in the second. So, in spite of the
        > parallel character of much of the material, I am not yet convinced
        > that Mk 3:31-35 was understood by Mark to have taken place in a house

        But maybe the linguistic evidence is more ambiguous than you think, if I'm
        right about the presence of a possessive pronoun after OIKON when Mark means
        'home'. Of course the roof is integral to the first story (Mk 2.1-12) but
        not really revelant to the second (Mk 3.20ff), though I accept that Mark
        *could* have slipped the odd door or two into the latter account had he
        really wanted to (but the absence of an explicit door hardly proved he
        envisaged the episode as taken place outdoors).

        Another Markan episode to bear in mind is Mk 1.29-34. There Jesus is said to
        HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN SIMWNOS KAI ANDREOU; although the compound EISHLQON is
        not used, and OIKIAN may well refer to Simon's and Andrew's home, the fact
        that Jesus proceeds to take their mother-in-law's hand while she is lying
        down stricken with fever tends to suggest that he entered the house to do
        so. Here we do have explicit mention of a door - we're told the whole town
        thronged around it at sunset (Mk. 1.33). Where was Jesus when he ministered
        to them, I wonder - just inside the door or just outside it? So this *may*
        be another Markan example of Jesus ministering to a crowd from inside a
        house, but I admit it's not very clear.

        > I apologize for suggesting that you may not have understood
        > Goodacre's fatigue argument. Your paragraphs on this issue,
        > which I have not copied here, both convince me that you did and
        > help me to understand your valid critique of that argument as used
        > by Mark G. in reference to the present set of Synoptic parallels.

        Many thanks for this.

        Best wishes,

        Eric
        ----------------------------------
        Eric Eve
        Harris Manchester College, Oxford

        -------------------------------
        Dr Eric Eve
        Harris Manchester College
        Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TD
        Tel: 01865 281473

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
          In a message dated 10/7/2002 10:01:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, eric.eve@... writes:

          I think we have simply been drawing to different linguistic features here.
          Your observation is that Mark always uses the compound verb EISELQEIN when
          he means 'to enter a house' (and that this is lacking in Mk 3.20). My
          observation is that he always uses the possessive adjective when he means
          'to go home' (and that this is lacking in Mk 3.20).

          The difference is that my observation is proper and exclusive, and therefore more significant, whereas you have not identified a "per proprium" feature of the "going home" idea as expressed in Mark's idiom. You are perhaps guilty of the "fallacy of the accident" in Logic ("ab uno disce omnes", or invalid induction) here. Mark uses EISELQEIN with OIKON when, and only when, he intends to speak of entering a house. He may frequently use the possessive adjective (or, more properly, the possessive pronoun) when he means "to go (to someone's) home", but he can also use a possessive when he means to enter someone's house (e.g., Mk 2:26), and there seems to be no essential reason why he could not, in certain contexts, speak of "going home" without the explicit addition of a possessive pronoun (as we do in English). A Lukan case might well illustrate the kind of context in which a possessive would be idiomatically omitted in Greek. In Lk 15:6, the man has been "in the desert", and beyond (15:4), with his sheep, and from there he returns "home" (ELQWN EIS TON OIKON...). (The phrase does not mean entering a house here, unless we are to think that the man calls his neighbors together by telephone). The case almost exactly parallels that of Mk 3:20, where Jesus has been to the mountains (EIS TO OROS: 3:13), and then returns home (KAI ERXETAI EIS OIKON: 3:20). Thus where "home" is being concretely conceived as a topographical space, distinct and contrasting to a given and relatively remote terminus a quo, "going home" is expressed in Greek without the use of the possessive.

          > Indeed. But I would like you to notice something here.
          > On the GH, the house in question was introduced into
          > this set of parallels by Luke, who was familiar with large
          > Hellenistic houses which could accommodate a crowd. This is,
          > however, clearly a secondary feature of the story. Matthew (9:1)
          > has Jesus entering a town (his own, Capernaum, but not a house!)
          > and being approached (for help) by a group of men carrying a lame
          > man on a stretcher. A house is involved in this story ONLY when the
          > cured lame man is told, after having been healed, to "pick up your
          > mat and go home". In 9:9 Jesus "goes on" from there (does not exit
          > from a house) to where he sees Matthew sitting at the tax-collectors'
          > table. Luke's adding of this feature is a typical Lukan addition which
          > attempts to answer a question posed by Matthew's text. For example,
          > Matt 3:11 poses the question, why should John suddenly start contrasting
          > his own identity with that of one who was to be the true Messiah of
          > Israel? Luke attempts to clarify this in 3:15 when he writes:
          > "The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their
          > hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah...". Similarly here,
          > Matt had written, with reference to the men who had brought a lame
          > man to Jesus when he entered the town: "And seeing their faith, he
          > said to the paralytic..". Luke creates a scene in which the words
          > "And seeing their faith..." (Lk 5:20) take on a new and concrete meaning.
          > In the process, the entire scene gets moved into a house, where it could
          > scarcely have fit, involving as it does "crowds", in its original Galilean
          > setting. Accordingly, Luke has Jesus "exiting" (presumably the house) in
          > 5:27, instead of "passing on" from there, as in Matthew (9:9).
          > Mark basically follows Luke's form of the story here, though he seems to
          > correct the references to the roof of the house to correspond more
          > realistically to the houses that would have existed in first century
          > Galilee, or would have been dwelt in more generally by the (social)
          > level of individual Mark was writing for.

          Indeed, this looks like a good account of how things must have been on the
          GH. On the FH, one would give a rather different account; one would, for
          example, suggest that the Matthew's mention of "seeing their faith..." was
          an instance of fatigue (since Matthew has dropped the Markan details that it
          originally referred to).

          This is a case that well illustrates the need to go beyond a simply descriptive to a more analytical approach when one is attempting to construct a valid Synoptic theory on a truly empirical basis. Of course one may -- indeed one must, if one is antecedently committed to Markan priority -- describe the entire scene of the removal of part of a roof and the letting down of a bed into the middle of the room as a "detail" of this story which Matthew omitted by "fatigue". The point is that this is an extremely unlikely scenario, whereas the scenario I described is far more reasonable and likely, and it is confirmed by other examples that show Luke adding a concrete feature to a given Gospel story in plausible response to questions naturally posed by an original and obscure Matthean text.

          Another Markan episode to bear in mind is Mk 1.29-34. There Jesus is said to
          HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN SIMWNOS KAI ANDREOU; although the compound EISHLQON is
          not used, and OIKIAN may well refer to Simon's and Andrew's home, the fact
          that Jesus proceeds to take their mother-in-law's hand while she is lying
          down stricken with fever tends to suggest that he entered the house to do
          so.

          Yes, indeed. I did notice this text after sending my previous post, and it does seem to constitute an exception to my rule, unless I restrict my rule to Markan expressions with OIKON. However, before I make this concession, it should be noted that the case is much clearer in the parallel text of Matthew, where Jesus enters Peter's house and sees his mother-in-law lying flat.. (KAI ELQWN.. EIS THN OIKIAN PETROU EIDEN THN PENQERAN AUTOU..). In Mk 1:29, Jesus -- and his disciples (?) -- are said to have gone out from the synagogue and come to (unto, into?) the house of Simon and Andrew... It is not clear how much Mark intends to say at this point. It is not immediately said here that Jesus "saw" the mother-in-law of Simon lying in bed, but rather (1:30) that this fact was communicated to him orally. It is quite possible to envision this conversation taking place at the door of, but outside, the house, so that we would have here a case similar to that of Mk 5:38, where Jesus' relationship to the house in question is spoken of in two stages: (1) the arrival at the home, and (2) the entrance into the house. This would not necessarily imply that the participial phrase KAI PROSELQWN (1:31) has the same identical function as the participial phrase at the end of 5:38 (KAI EISELQWN). Jesus' approaching Simon's mother-in-law in Mark (1:31) most reasonably assumes that Jesus is already in the house. But it is still possible to think that the actual entrance into the house is simply implied by the situation and not necessarily described by the phrase HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN in 1:29. What do you think?

          Leonard Maluf
        • Eric Eve
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
            Leonard Maluf wrote:

            > The difference is that my observation is proper and exclusive,
            > and therefore more significant, whereas you have not identified
            > a "per proprium" feature of the "going home" idea as expressed
            > in Mark's idiom. [much snipped] The case almost exactly parallels,
            > that of Mk 3:20, where Jesus has been to the mountains (EIS TO OROS: 3:13)
            > and then returns home (KAI ERXETAI EIS OIKON: 3:20). Thus where
            > "home" is being concretely conceived as a topographical space,
            > distinct and contrasting to a given and relatively remote terminus
            > a quo, "going home" is expressed in Greek without the use of the
            possessive

            Thank you for this further clarification, but see the further discussion of
            the possible exception below.

            > Yes, indeed. I did notice this text after sending my previous post,
            > and it does seem to constitute an exception to my rule, unless I
            > restrict my rule to Markan expressions with OIKON. However, before
            > I make this concession, it should be noted that the case is much
            > clearer in the parallel text of Matthew, where Jesus enters Peter's
            > house and sees his mother-in-law lying flat.. (KAI ELQWN.. EIS THN
            > OIKIAN PETROU EIDEN THN PENQERAN AUTOU..). In Mk 1:29, Jesus --
            > and his disciples (?) -- are said to have gone out from the synagogue
            > and come to (unto, into?) the house of Simon and Andrew... It is not
            > clear how much Mark intends to say at this point. It is not immediately
            > said here that Jesus "saw" the mother-in-law of Simon lying in bed,
            > but rather (1:30) that this fact was communicated to him orally.
            > It is quite possible to envision this conversation taking place at
            > the door of, but outside, the house, so that we would have here a
            > case similar to that of Mk 5:38, where Jesus' relationship to the
            > house in question is spoken of in two stages: (1) the arrival at the
            > home, and (2) the entrance into the house. This would not necessarily
            > imply that the participial phrase KAI PROSELQWN (1:31) has the same
            > identical function as the participial phrase at the end of 5:38
            > (KAI EISELQWN). Jesus' approaching Simon's mother-in-law in Mark
            > (1:31) most reasonably assumes that Jesus is already in the house.
            > But it is still possible to think that the actual entrance into the
            > house is simply implied by the situation and not necessarily described
            > by the phrase HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN in 1:29. What do you think?

            Well, if you restrict your rule to Markan expressions with OIKON you would
            miss out Mk 6.10 & 7.24 (EISELQEIN EIS OIKIAN) which you might want to use
            to support your case. In Mk 5.38-40 are there two stages or three? It take
            it your stage (1) is represented by KAI ERXONTAI EIS TON OIKON TOU
            ARXISUNAGWGOU (5.38), and your stage (2) by KAI EISELQWN (5.39). So is there
            not a third stage at 5.40 where KAI EISPOREUTAI hOPOU HN TO PAIDION?
            Presumably Mark evisages this house as having more than one room, with the
            daughter lying in an inner chamber, and at the very least suggests that Mark
            can envisage movement within a house to where a sick person is lying. So,
            together with your point at KAI PROSELQWN in Mk 1.31 this suggests that the
            action took place within the house. Of course it is possible to imagine the
            first part of the scene taking place at the door of but outside the house,
            and I take your point about Jesus being told about Simon's mother-in-law
            rather than seeing her, but presumably it is her illness rather than her
            posture that is being communicated orally, so this does not need Jesus to be
            in a different location. Moreover, v.30 most naturally reads as a
            description of the scene arrived at after the movement narrated in v.29, so
            that the distinction between HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN describing the entrance to
            the house, and the entrance being being seems rather a fine one; in this
            instance the effect of having Jesus and his companions HLQON EIS THN OIKIAN
            is that they end up inside the house. Again, while I can see that it might
            be *possible* to argue that the entrance into the house is simply implied by
            the situation, there seems to me to be a danger that this argument could be
            used to dispose of *any* proposed exception to your rule, on the grounds
            that the evidence that might be adduced to show that the action was taking
            place inside the house could be taken to imply that entrance had taken place
            and so removed the burden of description from the verb employed within
            OIKOS/OIKIA (I hope that's clear). At the very least Mk 1.29 suggests that
            Mark can think of ELQEIN EIS OIKIAN as including the entrance into someone's
            home as well as going to the place where it is located.

            > This [sc. my discussion of the paralytic in Matthew and Mark]
            > is a case that well illustrates the need to go beyond a simply
            > descriptive to a more analytical approach when one is attempting to
            > construct a valid Synoptic theory on a truly empirical basis. Of
            > course one may -- indeed one must, if one is antecedently committed
            > to Markan priority -- describe the entire scene of the removal of
            > part of a roof and the letting down of a bed into the middle of the
            > room as a "detail" of this story which Matthew omitted by "fatigue".
            > The point is that this is an extremely unlikely scenario, whereas
            > the scenario I described is far more reasonable and likely, and it
            > is confirmed by other examples that show Luke adding a concrete
            > feature to a given Gospel story in plausible response to questions
            > naturally posed by an original and obscure Matthean text.

            Here you seem to be achieving your rhetorical effect by misrepresenting what
            I said (and what other defenders of Markan priority would say). I did *not*
            describe the removal of part of a roof and the letting down of a bed as
            something omitted by *fatigue*. What I actually said (as you indeed quote)
            was 'one would, for example, suggest that the Matthew's mention of "seeing
            their faith..." was an instance of fatigue'. In other words, the suggestion
            is that the fatigue lies in the fact Matthew, having compressed this Markan
            miracle story to focus on what he regards as the essentials (as, on the
            thesis of Markan priority, he often does elsewhere, creating what you call
            'an original and obscure Matthean text') retained "seeing their faith" after
            removing the section of the narrative (the actions of the stretcher bearers)
            to which it refers. But perhaps your reply here was a reaction to my use of
            the word 'details'? - if so, you may have read more into it that I intended
            to imply!

            Best wishes,

            Eric

            P.S. If I go a bit silent for the next few days it's because it's the start
            of term here and I've got a bunch of new students to look after, among other
            things.