Re: [Synoptic-L] Beelzebul controversy

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2002
      Leonard wrote:

      > EXEI . . . appears four times in Mark's text, with
      > no parallel in Matt or Luke (Mk 3:22b, 26, 29, 30).
      > [S]ee e.g. Mk 8:14-18, where, in the span of five
      > verses, a late Mark adds the verb EXEIN, in one form
      > or another, no fewer than five times to the parallel
      > text of Matthew).

      I'm no synoptic scholar, nor do I hold a strong
      opinion on the putative chronological priority of
      Mark, so my remarks here will be more of an
      observation than an argument (and lacking expertise,
      I'll leave it to others on this list to construct
      arguments one way or another).

      In Mark 3:22-30, only verse 29 in Mark has a phrase
      with EXEI parallel to a verse in Matthew that has a
      similar phrase without EXEI:

      Mk. 3:29 OUK EXEI APHESIN

      Mt. 12:31 OUK APHETHASETAI

      Similarly, in Mark 8:11-21, only verse 16 in Mark has
      a phrase with EXOUSIN parallel to a verse in Matthew
      that has a similar phrase without EXOUSIN:

      Mk. 8:16 ARTOUS OUK EXOUSIN

      Mt. 16:7 ARTOUS OUK ELABOMEN

      Luke seems to lack even these similar phrases. Except
      for these two instances above, it would appear that
      the EXEIs are dropped along with entire phrases. On
      the face ot it, this would appear to reduce the
      significance of absent EXEIs -- though one would
      perhaps still need to explain the excision of the
      phrases in Matthew and Luke (assuming a position of
      Markan priority).

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City