Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Markan Priority/Posteriority [was The Case Against Q]

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2002
      Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Markan Priority/Posteriority [was The Case Against Q] on 9/19/02 7:29 AM, Maluflen@... at Maluflen@... wrote:

      I think Mark wrote with the simple Christian in the pew, who had not previously been directly addressed in a written Gospel document, as a primarily targeted audience ("what I say to you, I say to all": Mk 13:37). Of course my theory also presupposes that Mark wrote intending primarily an oral performance of his Gospel drama within an ecclesial setting.

      "... dying, he left his composition to the church in Alexandria, where it even yet is most carefully guarded, being read only to those who are being initiated into the great mysteries."  Morton Smith's Clement letter

      "At his death" would be better than "dying", it was a lynching situation, not a deathbed.

      Tim Reynolds
      Long Beach CA