[Synoptic-L] Re: Word origin

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2002
      Re: Word origin on 9/12/02 7:49 PM, Ethelsdatr@... at Ethelsdatr@... wrote:

      From: "Kathy Stone" <k_stone@...>
      Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:50:49 -0400
      To: "Karen Lind" <ethelsdatr@...>
      Subject: Word origin

      Ever wonder where the word SHIT comes from? Well, here it is:

      Certain types of manure used to be transported (as everything was years
      ago) by ship. In dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once
      water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of
      fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas.
      As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could
      (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the
      first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

      Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was discovered
      what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always
      stamped with the term "S.H.I.T" on them which meant to the sailors to
      "Ship High In Transit." In other words, high enough off the lower decks
      so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile
      cargo and start the production of methane.

      Bet you didn't know the history of that word.

      Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

      German is scheiss (sp?), Chaucer is shytte or thereabouts.  Forgery is not as easy as some New Testament scholars think.

      tim