Re: [Synoptic-L] "Minor Agreements" in de Solages

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002
      I asked why Bruno de Solages never refers to the minor agreements by the
      term "minor agreements."

      Tim Reynolds asked,
      "What does he call them?"

      and Emmanuel Fritsch asked,
      "[W]hat is the position of Solages about the Synoptic problem?"

      Actually, de Solages does "call" them anything, if by that we mean, Does
      he have a technical term? His most frequent denotation for them is
      "Field 3," which refers to the space that the minor agreement count
      occupies in his statistical charts.

      And as for his solution to the synoptic problem, de Solages arrives at
      the Two-Source theory, except that he never calls it the "Two-Source
      theory," and he never refers to Q as "Q" (he calls it "X").

      It is this avoidance of accepted terminology that I'm wondering about.
      De Solages doesn't quote other scholarship (other than his teachers and
      colleagues), so one suspects that some sort of tunnel vision is to blame
      (not unlike Enoch Powell's book). Yet the way in which he arrives at
      the Two-Source theory is so problematic that one suspects that he had
      that theory as his goal.

      For a damning critique of de Solages's procedure, see the discussion in
      chapter one of Robert Morgenthaler's *Statistische Synopse*.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio