[Synoptic-L] Hebrew style at Luke 11.27-28

  • Randall Buth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2002
      TOIS ETAIROIS
      CAIREIN

      I had Moulton near my desk, so I looked it up meself:

      >Luke must like to use egeneto + en + infinitive + ... finite verb.
      >(see Howard's observations in vol. 2 of Moulton)
      >and idioms like 'lift up a voice'
      >and parallelistic poetry. <

      Moulton-Howard vol. 2: 426-428:
      Temporal clauses involving
      EGENETO + EN TW infin. (+/-KAI) + aorist main verb
      occurs 18 times in gospel of Luke, including Luke 11.27
      but not once in ACTS !
      That was a zero in Acts.
      18 versus zero is impressive by anyone's statistics.

      Only by ignoring the overall structure and linking other general
      infinitives to EGENETO can something related to this be
      tied to Greek and Acts (Howard lists Acts 9.2 and 19.1,
      plus another idiom at 20.16) And the use of something related,
      but different, in Acts actually underlines the gospel's non-Lucan
      style.

      ERRWSQE
      Randall Buth
      www.biblicalulpan.org