Re: [Synoptic-L] Did overlaps affect Luke's decision to omit material?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2002
      In a message dated 7/27/2002 10:50:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kaolson@... writes:

      >>I follow Goulder here in seeing Luke as depending almost exclusively on Matthew up to Lk 4:30. (_Luke: A New Paradigm_, p.270) So Luke simply took over Matthew's context, who in turn had been dependent on Mark.<<

      The first part of this statement is based largely on insight, the last part, largely on ideology. If one really looked without bias at the first chapter of Mark, it would readily be seen that it is secondary in most respects to the corresponding texts of Matthew. But, as I have always said, Goulder is to be credited for being half way there.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 28, 2002
        On 27 Jul 2002 at 13:46, Ken Olson wrote:

        > [I think Mark Goodacre has argued somewhere that Lk. 11.27-28 shows
        > signs of a high level of Lukan creativity, but I can't locate the
        > reference at the moment.]

        Thanks for mentioning this, not least because it reminds me of the
        need to pull my finger out and get back to the article in question.
        It is an unpublished piece on Luke 11.27-28 and argues that it shows
        a high level of Lucan creativity, and that the close verbal parallel
        in Thomas 79 shows Thomasine dependence on Luke. I submitted it to a
        major journal who asked me to do extra bits and bobs and I've never
        got round to it -- and it's now two or three years later. Typical.

        Mark
        -----------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
        Birmingham B15 2TT UK

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        http://NTGateway.com

      • Randall Buth
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2002
          shalom
          >It is an unpublished piece on Luke 11.27-28 and argues that it shows
          >a high level of Lucan creativity,<

          Luke must like to use egeneto + en + infinitive + ... finite verb.
          (see Howard's observations in vol. 2 of Moulton)
          and idioms like 'lift up a voice'
          and parallelistic poetry.

          ERRWSO
          Randall Buth