Re: [Synoptic-L] More on Matt 19:16ff [was: Did Mark reject...]

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2002
      At 10:38 AM 6/17/02 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
      >In a message dated 6/17/2002 5:43:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      >Maluflen@... writes:
      >I think this really makes good sense now, and I even wonder why Stephen
      >Carlson thinks the text is obscure (other than by complications resulting
      >precisely from comparing the text with Mark's and Luke's version). Perhaps
      >he will elaborate his reasons.

      I think it is obscure because it is difficult for me to understand.
      How does one explain such a brute fact? ;-)

      More seriously, the plausible Cope interpretation of good=Torah
      requires the acceptance of a certain amount of background knowledge
      that is not apparent from the text, though consistent with it.

      On the Griesbach hypothesis, looking at Luke and Mark's assumed
      use of the Matthean version show that the Torah background/
      understanding was lost on these first century interpreters and
      they struggled to render the pericope more comprehensible. In
      the transmission of the text, the Byzantine scribes also struggled
      with the passage and substituted Luke and Mark's clearer version.
      The lack of clarity is apparent even in modern translations,
      who feel compelled to visit the Lukan and Markan parallels for
      guidance.

      I think there's plenty of evidence supporting the obvious fact
      that the text is difficult to understand. As a supporter of
      Matthean priority, Leonard, you should relish the obscurity of
      the Matthean version, because it should be considered a classic
      instance of a lectio difficilior: it is a text that is prima
      facie difficult to understand and would invite clarification,
      but on deeper reflection is fundamentally coherent after all.