Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan priority

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17 12:59 PM
      Zeba Crook wrote:

      > I don't mean to pick on you, Ron, since many people use it, but this
      >phrase "the exception that proves the rule" makes the hair on my neck stand
      >up. There can be no such thing as an exception that proves a rule, since
      >by its very existence exceptions disprove a rule.

      Zeb,

      I used to think the same way. But some of these old sayings are not
      meant to be taken literally. I now understand it to mean: 'The finding
      of a rare exception reminds us that a *general* rule (as opposed to an
      absolute rule) must exist.'

      > Beside, I thought it had long ago been proved that the lectio brevior was
      >useful (though not air tight) in text criticism, but of little value for
      >source criticism. Sometimes a pericope is shorter in Matthew and Luke
      >because of removing extraneous detail and repetition from Mark.

      This is all very true. But as I understand it, the research behind
      this was looking at the *pericope* level. My comments on editions relate
      to the level of a whole book. It would be dubious to extrapolate from
      the former to the latter.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...