[Synoptic-L] The Spirit-Dove connection in the Synoptics

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      Just an added note (and query) on the dove-symbol for
      the Holy Spirit. The Theological Dictionary of the New
      Testament, Volume 6 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1968), p.
      66, tr. and edited by Geoffrey W. Bromiley, states:

      "when Ben Zoma (c. 90 A.D.) compares the hovering of
      the Spirit over the water with that of the dove over
      its brood he is simply trying to define the manner;
      other birds can be mentioned equally well in par.
      traditions."

      Footnote 36 to this passage cites:

      "T. Chag., 2,5 (234), Str.-B., I, 124."

      What are these "other birds"? Is the eagle one of them
      -- given Deuteronomy 32:11?

      If anyone can easily check, I'd appreciate this. I
      would check myself, but I found only volume 3 of
      Str.-B. in Hanshin's general library (and haven't had
      the chance to go to Seoul to check the seminary
      library).

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City