[Synoptic-L] James or Matthew? (was: Q & sQ : a comparison)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      In a message dated 5/28/2002 5:07:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      ron.price@... writes:

      << Leonard,

      The name [James] wasn't taken from a hat. My argument is as follows:[...]>>

      Thanks, Ron, for laying out your argument for James as the author of sQ. The
      argument is interesting and suggestive, but hardly justifies your apparently
      firm conclusion. It is not clear to me how you can think that reasoning of
      this kind acquits you of the charge of drawing a name from a hat, while at
      the same time you seem to be issuing the amazing counter-charge that Papias
      in the second century drew the name "Matthew" from a hat as author of certain
      logia regarding the life and ministry of Jesus. Do you have a theory as to
      why Papias so baldly stated that Matthew was the author of the logia? And do
      you have another theory as to why no-one in the entire tradition (excepting
      the clearly second-century apocryphal gospel by his name) ever attributed the
      composition of an early gospel to James of Jerusalem? The brother of Jesus
      was acknowledged, after all, as the author of an "epistle", which gained
      canonical status in the great church under the name James, slave of God and
      of the Lord Jesus Christ; why not a gospel? There is not the slightest hint
      in our sources that Papias arrived at the idea that Matthew wrote the logia
      through a process of reasoning from internal evidence involving numerous
      guesses -- and analogous to that by which you arrive at James the brother of
      Jesus as its author -- rather than simply handing on a reliable tradition
      based on known fact. You haven't given me a good reason to reject that
      tradition and accept your conjecture.