[Synoptic-L] Re: Spirt, dove & Qumran

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2002
      Steven Notley wrote:

      > I worked on this subject a number of years ago and I
      > found the background to it elusive. Apart from the
      > text that has been mentioned (Gen. Rab. 2:4), one
      may
      > also hear a connection between the heavenly voice
      > (bat kol) and the chirping of a bird (Qoh. Rab. on
      > Qoh. 7:9, 12:2) or a dove (b. Ber. 3a). But in the
      > pericope of Jesus' baptism the connection is between
      > the spirit and dove, not the heavenly voice and the
      > dove.

      Gen. Rab 2:4 -- is that the Talmud's source for the
      Ben Zoma anecdote, or is it about the Bat Qol?

      Did you take a look at the Targum to Song of Songs,
      which interprets the "voice of the turtledove" in the
      Song of Songs 2:12 as the "voice of the Holy Spirit of
      redemption"? I have not seen this text myself but have
      a citation from The Interpreter's Dictionary of the
      Bible: An Illustrated Encyclopedia (New York: Abingdon
      Press, 1962) "Dove," 867a.

      By the way, did you publish anything on this topic in
      relation to the dove-symbol in the gospels?

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411