[Synoptic-L] Luke as an editor shy of Aramaic ?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002
      I have argued based on the 3ST that the sayings source (sQ) was in
      Aramaic. In support of this I have found that over 3/4 of the texts
      commonly quoted as having very similar wording in the double tradition
      in Matthew and Luke I had already allocated to xQ (copied from Matthew),
      and are therefore explicable as Greek to Greek copying.
      Now I find that there are two further pericopae where similar wording
      can be explained, and this time in spite of their origin in an Aramaic
      source.

      Here is my scenario for Luke's editorial activity whilst writing
      11:14-32.

      (a) Luke looked up Mt 12:22-29 in order to make use of it in his version
      of the Beelzebul controversy: Lk 11:14-22.
      (b) He accepted Matthew's context for the sQ saying in Mt 12:30
      ('For/against'), so copied Lk 11:23 from there instead of translating it
      separately, thus explaining why it is word for word identical in the
      Greek. He left the codex of Matthew open at 12:30. (The scenario still
      works if you think Matthew was on a scroll.)
      (c) He moved on to Mt 12:43-45 for the unclean spirit story: Lk
      11:24-26, and noticed the Jonah and Solomon texts (Mt 12:41-42) in
      passing. He left the codex of Matthew open at 12:45.
      (d) He spotted later on this same page the story of Jesus' mother and
      brothers which he had already copied from Mark. Its ending was similar
      to one of the sQ sayings (indeed Mk 3:31-35 may have been Mark's
      adaptation of it), so he switched to sQ and loosely translated this
      saying on 'true blessedness' inserting it here (Lk 11:27-28).
      (e) Having decided to incorporate the 'Signs' saying from sQ at this
      point (Lk 11:29-32), he respected the basic content and internal order
      of this text in sQ, but made use of Matthew's Greek translation for the
      latter part (Mt 12:41-42), Matthew's text being still visible in the
      open codex in front of him. This explains the close correspondence here
      between the wording of Mt 12:42,41 and Lk 11:31,32 noted amongst other
      pairs of similar texts in Achtemeier's _HarperCollins Bible Dictionary_,
      p.906 and in Kloppenborg's _The Formation of Q_, p.42.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...