[Synoptic-L] Revised explination

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      I've made use of some suggestions:

      =============

      For simplicity, let's say we have only two documents, document A and
      document B. We then construct a synopsis of A and B. For the purposes of
      this illustration, we will assume every passage in each document has a
      corresponding parallel passage in the other document.

      Now let's color code our synopsis and divide the words found in these
      documents into three categories.

      #1, Red: Words occurring in passages in document A but not occurring in its
      corresponding parallel passage(s) in document B.

      #2, Yellow: Words occurring in passages in document A and also occurring in
      its corresponding parallel passage(s) in document B.

      #3, Blue: Words occurring in passages in document B but not occurring in
      its corresponding parallel passage(s) in document A.

      From the above definitions, we can see that by coloring category 1 and
      category 2 we have colored all of document A. Also, by coloring category 2
      and category 3 we have colored all of document B.

      Now we study two vocabulary items: "cat" and "dog".

      Suppose we find that there all many instances of the word "cat" in category
      1.
      There are also many instances of the word "cat" in category 2.
      However, there are few instances of the word "cat" in category 3.

      When we look at "dog", we find that there are few instances of the word
      "dog" in category 1.
      There are also few instances of the word "dog" in category 2.
      However, there are many instances of the word "dog" in category 3.

      So, the pattern we see is that category 1 and category 2 have similar
      frequencies of the studied vocabulary items. However, category 3, has a
      markedly different frequency.

      Stated in another way, categories 1 and 2 form a homogeneous pair, while
      category 3 is different.

      Or stated yet another way, document A (made up of categories 1 and 2) is
      more homogeneous.
      Whereas, document B (made up of categories 2 and 3) is less homogeneous.

      The claim then, is that the homogeneous document A is more likely prior to
      the non-homogeneous document B.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois