Re: [Synoptic-L] Another attempt at explanation

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2002
      John writes:

      > 1) Words occurring in passages in document A but not
      > occurring in parallel passages in document B.

      This could mean that the class of words of category 1
      are contained in parallels with A & B but B does not
      use these words either lacking them or perhaps
      substituting another term in its place. What creates
      this reading is the term "passages" which seems to
      imply that some of the words contained in some
      passages of A are in parallel passages with B who
      lacks them since they are "not occurring in parallel
      passages in document B". If you placed two words "its
      corresponding" between "occurring in" --- and ---
      "parallel passages" it would bring this out even
      clearer. Without these two words the meaning is still
      possible and hence makes the formula ambiguous.

      Earlier John also wrote:

      > John Lupia suggests that Dave reword these
      > descriptions as follows:
      >
      > 1) Words found in document A that are not contained
      > in
      > any parallel with document B.

      John,
      I believe the suggestion directly above conveys the wrong meaning.
      However, if I follow your other suggestion we get:

      1) Words occurring in passages in document A but not
      > occurring in its corresponding parallel passage(s) in document B.

      This seems to be what I've been trying to convey.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois
      M.S. Physics
      Ph.D. Management Science candidate

    • John Lupia
      Message 36 of 36 , May 2, 2002
        Correction.

        The following reads:
        5 Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has with
        A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (11) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        But should be corrected as follows:
        (10) Words that are different between A & B having the
        same subject, but which are not parallel narratives.
        (11) Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has
        with A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (13) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        Additional note:

        Consequently, there are thirteen, not twelve
        categories.

        There are two classes of focus dictated by the design
        of the essentially required categories.

        Class 1 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show either possible redaction or
        author's style demonstrated in the following twelve
        categories:
        Categories 1, 2, (3), (4), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10),
        (11), (12), (13).

        Class 2 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show overlap between Synoptic
        Gospels sharing words and material to escalating
        degrees of verisimilitude demonstrated in the
        following five categories:
        Categories 2, (5), (6), (7), (9).

        Four categories: 2, (6), (7), (9) have dual functions
        since they share words and material that overlap as
        well as demonstrate either possible redaction or
        author's style. Each should be assessed separately.

        =====
        John N. Lupia
        501 North Avenue B-1
        Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA