Re: [Synoptic-L] Another attempt at explanation

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2002
      I had suggested:

      1) Words occurring in passages in document A but not
      occurring in parallel passages in document B.
      2) Words occurring in passages in document A and also
      occurring in parallel passages in document B.
      3) Words occurring in passages in document B but not
      occurring in parallel passages in document A.

      Let me know if this is a correct understanding and a
      further clarification.

      John Lupia replied:

      I found your suggestions not helpful for the following
      reason.

      > 1) Words occurring in passages in document A but not
      > occurring in parallel passages in document B.

      This could mean that the class of words of category 1
      are contained in parallels with A & B but B does not
      use these words either lacking them or perhaps
      substituting another term in its place. What creates
      this reading is the term "passages" which seems to
      imply that some of the words contained in some
      passages of A are in parallel passages with B who
      lacks them since they are "not occurring in parallel
      passages in document B". If you placed two words "its
      corresponding" between "occurring in" --- and ---
      "parallel passages" it would bring this out even
      clearer. Without these two words the meaning is still
      possible and hence makes the formula ambiguous.

      John, I don't understand this paragraph. The first
      sentence is particularly opaque to me. Perhaps you
      could rewrite the paragraph and also explicitly state
      the ambiguity so that I can be clear about your
      meaning.

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411
      South Korea

    • John Lupia
      Message 36 of 36 , May 2, 2002
        Correction.

        The following reads:
        5 Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has with
        A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (11) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        But should be corrected as follows:
        (10) Words that are different between A & B having the
        same subject, but which are not parallel narratives.
        (11) Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has
        with A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (13) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        Additional note:

        Consequently, there are thirteen, not twelve
        categories.

        There are two classes of focus dictated by the design
        of the essentially required categories.

        Class 1 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show either possible redaction or
        author's style demonstrated in the following twelve
        categories:
        Categories 1, 2, (3), (4), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10),
        (11), (12), (13).

        Class 2 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show overlap between Synoptic
        Gospels sharing words and material to escalating
        degrees of verisimilitude demonstrated in the
        following five categories:
        Categories 2, (5), (6), (7), (9).

        Four categories: 2, (6), (7), (9) have dual functions
        since they share words and material that overlap as
        well as demonstrate either possible redaction or
        author's style. Each should be assessed separately.

        =====
        John N. Lupia
        501 North Avenue B-1
        Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA