Re: [Synoptic-L] Another attempt at explanation

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2002
      Jeffrey Glen Jackson wrote:
      > Take the following to sentences:
      > (a) The fox jumps over the dog.
      > (b) The dog jumps over the fox.
      >
      > The word "dog" appears in both sentences. This is a
      > generic
      > use of the word "dog". However there are two
      > specific
      > instances of the word dog here. Instance 1 occurs
      > in (b),
      > but not (a), and instance 2 occurs in (a), but not
      > (b). In
      > contrast the generic word "jumps" occurs in both,
      > and
      > there is only one instance of the word "jumps",
      > which
      > occurs in both.
      >
      > Does this help clear anything up.

      No. I find it rather curious that so many are running
      to my aide to solve *my* confusion, which is false,
      when the problem of confusion belongs to Mr. Gentile.
      The fact that no one grasps the logic problem is
      disturbing. The terms need to be clarified in his
      propositions. That is all I was attempting to point
      out all along. As they stand they lend themselves to
      various interpretations which has become evident just
      reading the posts. Besides this, your example does
      not correspond with Dave's own example of "the brown
      fox jumps". Compare your take on it to his.

      Best,

      =====
      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA

    • John Lupia
      Message 36 of 36 , May 2, 2002
        Correction.

        The following reads:
        5 Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has with
        A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (11) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        But should be corrected as follows:
        (10) Words that are different between A & B having the
        same subject, but which are not parallel narratives.
        (11) Words in B not used by A in any parallel B has
        with A.
        (* repetitive with #2).Words in B used not in a
        parallel narrative with A, but in a parallel phrase
        with A
        6. Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) or verse
        in B exclusively.
        (12) Words used in a unique phrase (or clause) in B
        exclusively.
        (13) Words used in a unique verse in B exclusively.

        Additional note:

        Consequently, there are thirteen, not twelve
        categories.

        There are two classes of focus dictated by the design
        of the essentially required categories.

        Class 1 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show either possible redaction or
        author's style demonstrated in the following twelve
        categories:
        Categories 1, 2, (3), (4), (6), (7), (8), (9), (10),
        (11), (12), (13).

        Class 2 comprises a study of narrative parallels and
        non-parallels that show overlap between Synoptic
        Gospels sharing words and material to escalating
        degrees of verisimilitude demonstrated in the
        following five categories:
        Categories 2, (5), (6), (7), (9).

        Four categories: 2, (6), (7), (9) have dual functions
        since they share words and material that overlap as
        well as demonstrate either possible redaction or
        author's style. Each should be assessed separately.

        =====