Re: Fatigue, was Re: [Synoptic-L] "Desert" of Bethsaida

  • David Inglis
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 14 8:48 AM
      Stephen Carlson wrote:
      > At 06:00 PM 4/10/2002 -0700, David Inglis wrote:
      > >In message 8278 I wrote:
      > >> 1. Just what *are* the assured results of the Synoptic Problem?
      > >> 2. What evidence would you accept as turning Matthean/Markan/Lukan
      > >priority into an assured result?
      > >>
      > >> I have to say that unless these two questions can be answered to
      general
      > >satisfaction (I'm cynical enough to believe that there will not be
      answers
      > >that everyone agrees to), then what hope is that the Synoptic Problem
      itself
      > >will ever be solved?
      >
      > I think it all depends on what you mean by "assured results"?
      >
      > A pratical definition of an "assured result" is a conclusion
      > that it sowidely accepted that a scholar is no longer expected
      > to footnote an authority for it. By this standard, the 2ST is
      > an assured result in much of present day gospel scholarship.
      > Who today bothers to footnote Wernle or Streeter for Markan
      > priority? Can you imagine getting marking down on a paper
      > for failing to cite Copernicus when you mentioned that the
      > earth goes around the sun?

      Stephen,

      I'm not sure what weight you are applying to the 2ST. "An assured result in
      much of present day gospel scholarship" falls short of simply being "An
      assured result." Quite clearly, the many and varied postings to this list
      show that there are still a number of valid arguments against the 2ST, and
      so although it may well be the majority position, I don't believe that it
      can yet be called an "assured result", at least not in the way Bob Waltz
      defines the term.

      > If an assured result is one that is "beyond a reasonable
      > doubt", the standard we send people to prison in the U.S.,
      > then I would say that the existence of the synoptic problem
      > qualifies. It is beyond reasonable doubt that the extensive
      > verbatim agreements indicate that there is some kind of a
      > literary relationship among the synoptics.

      Absolutely. The existence of some kind of literary relationship among the
      synoptics can be termed an "assured result." I just don't believe that any
      solution (or even a partial solution, such as a particular priority) is
      currently an "assured result". Also, as I have yet to see anyone answering
      my second question: "What evidence would you accept as turning
      Matthean/Markan/Lukan priority into an assured result?", I'm not convinced
      that it is possible given the current evidence.

      Dave Inglis
      david@...
      3538 O'Connor Drive
      Lafayette, CA, USA