Re: [Synoptic-L] Latin or Greek in the Roman Church (was Re:"Desert" of Beth...

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 2:31 PM
      In a message dated 4/9/2002 12:15:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      larry.swain@... writes:

      << I would be interested in hearing from those who
      posit a Latin translation earlier than 180--some evidence please. >>

      Larry: my own concession to the possibility of a first century translation of
      Mark into Latin was a pure hunch, with no evidence whatsoever to support it.
      In light of your brilliant post, I would now rate it as probably an
      irresponsible hunch. I enjoyed both John's disquisition and your response to
      it, and I am inclined to think that you have the better of the argument at
      the moment. Like you, I would certainly be interested if anyone else can come
      with an argument (or rather evidence) for an earlier use of Latin in the
      Christian community of Rome.