Re: [Synoptic-L] Retro-Semitic translations

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 2:53 AM
      At 08:51 AM 4/9/2002 +0200, Emmanuel Fritsch wrote:
      >"Mahlon H. Smith" wrote:
      >> Retro-Semitic translations of the
      >> Greek gospels are admittedly a lot of intellectual fun (witness the work of
      >> Burney, Matthew Black, Maurice Casey & George Howard)
      >
      >May you give me the reference of those ?

      Here are the refernences for what I have:

      Matthew Black, An Aramaic Approach to the Gospels and Acts
      (1946; 3d. ed., Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1967).
      Charles Fox Burney, The Aramaic Origin of the Fourth Gospel
      (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1922).
      Charles Fox Burney, The Poetry of Our Lord (Oxford: Clarendon
      Press, 1925)
      Maurice Casey, Aramaic Sources of Mark's Gospel (Society
      for New Testament Studies, Monograph Series 102; Cambridge:
      University Press, 1998).
      George Howard, Hebrew Gospel of Matthew (Macon, Ga.: Mercer
      University Press, rev. ed., 1995).

      >Are they serious, or is it just a funny game ?

      They are all serious; however, Black, Burney, Casey did not
      retrovert an entire gospel into a Semitic language, merely
      selected portions (e.g. the Lord's Prayer). Howard edited
      a late medieval translation of Matthew into Hebrew used by
      Shem Tov.

      There's also:

      Robert Lisle Lindsey, A Hebrew Translation of the Gospel of
      Mark: Greek-Hebrew Diglot with English Introduction, forward
      by David Flusser (Jerusalem: Dugith, 2d ed., 1973).

      This is a translation, not a retroversion, of Mark into Hebrew.