[Synoptic-L] Re:"Desert" of Bethsaida

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 7, 2002
      Synoptic-L@...

      Dear Jeffery:

      Clyde Winters is the foremost authority on Meroitic.
      He states: "Tocharian was a trade language used to
      unite the various nationalities, and that after the
      migration of Indian Brahmin to ancient Kush, it was
      used by the Meroites to write their inscriptions."

      If you wish to discuss this further you can write to
      him cwinters@...

      BIBLIOGRAPHY

      Carlton Hodge, "Some Afroasiatic Etymologies" Anthrop.
      Linguistics 10, 23, 198?

      Winters, A.A. 1984. "A note on Tokharian and
      Meroitic".Meroitic Newsletter, no. 23: 18-21.

      Winters, A.A. 1988. "The Dravidian and Manding
      substratum in Tokharian". Central Asiatic Journal, 32
      (1-2): 131-141.

      Winters, A.A. 1989. "Chiekh Anta Diop at le
      Dechiffrement de l'ecriture Meroitique", Revue
      Martiniguaise de Sciences Humaines et de Litterature,
      no.8: 141-153.

      Winters, Clyde A.(1998). Meroitic funerary text. Part
      1, Inscription Journal of Ancient Egypt, 1 (1), 29-34.

      Winters, Clyde A. (1998b). Meroitic funerary text.
      Part 2, Inscription Journal of Ancient Egypt, 1 (2),
      41-55.

      Winters, Clyde A. (1999). Inscriptions of Tanydamani,
      Nubica et Ethiopica, IV/V, 355-388.

      Windekens van, A.J., 1979. Le Tokhrien confronte avec
      les autre Langues
      Indo-Europeenes. 2 vols. Louvain.

      =====
      John N. Lupia
      501 North Avenue B-1
      Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA

    • David Inglis
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 14, 2002
        Stephen Carlson wrote:
        > At 06:00 PM 4/10/2002 -0700, David Inglis wrote:
        > >In message 8278 I wrote:
        > >> 1. Just what *are* the assured results of the Synoptic Problem?
        > >> 2. What evidence would you accept as turning Matthean/Markan/Lukan
        > >priority into an assured result?
        > >>
        > >> I have to say that unless these two questions can be answered to
        general
        > >satisfaction (I'm cynical enough to believe that there will not be
        answers
        > >that everyone agrees to), then what hope is that the Synoptic Problem
        itself
        > >will ever be solved?
        >
        > I think it all depends on what you mean by "assured results"?
        >
        > A pratical definition of an "assured result" is a conclusion
        > that it sowidely accepted that a scholar is no longer expected
        > to footnote an authority for it. By this standard, the 2ST is
        > an assured result in much of present day gospel scholarship.
        > Who today bothers to footnote Wernle or Streeter for Markan
        > priority? Can you imagine getting marking down on a paper
        > for failing to cite Copernicus when you mentioned that the
        > earth goes around the sun?

        Stephen,

        I'm not sure what weight you are applying to the 2ST. "An assured result in
        much of present day gospel scholarship" falls short of simply being "An
        assured result." Quite clearly, the many and varied postings to this list
        show that there are still a number of valid arguments against the 2ST, and
        so although it may well be the majority position, I don't believe that it
        can yet be called an "assured result", at least not in the way Bob Waltz
        defines the term.

        > If an assured result is one that is "beyond a reasonable
        > doubt", the standard we send people to prison in the U.S.,
        > then I would say that the existence of the synoptic problem
        > qualifies. It is beyond reasonable doubt that the extensive
        > verbatim agreements indicate that there is some kind of a
        > literary relationship among the synoptics.

        Absolutely. The existence of some kind of literary relationship among the
        synoptics can be termed an "assured result." I just don't believe that any
        solution (or even a partial solution, such as a particular priority) is
        currently an "assured result". Also, as I have yet to see anyone answering
        my second question: "What evidence would you accept as turning
        Matthean/Markan/Lukan priority into an assured result?", I'm not convinced
        that it is possible given the current evidence.

        Dave Inglis
        david@...
        3538 O'Connor Drive
        Lafayette, CA, USA