Re: [Synoptic-L] Two questions on Q Critical Edition

  • John Rutledge
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2002
      --- Wieland Willker <willker@...-bremen.de>
      wrote:
      > Reading through the Q text of the IQ Project I have
      > two questions:
      >
      > 1. Q 3:16 In the IQP Critical Edition the word AGIW
      > is in double brackets.
      > Why? They comment: "Is AGIW in Q or from Mk?" Why is
      > this here the question?
      > (NA lists 64 and Tert in support for the omission.)

      If you think about it an ideal critical edition of Q
      might contain at least four kinds of brackets. These
      would include textual uncertainity (based on
      manuscript evidence), synoptic uncertainity (based on
      the synoptics + perhaps John), uncertainity based on
      literary judgement, and a final bracket taking into
      account all the previous evidence.

      AGIW should be bracketed off as a text critical
      variant. It may have been bracketed off for some other
      reason, but signifying a possible variant reading here
      certainly makes sense.

      > They also comment on PNEUMATI (which is not in
      > double brackets!): "Is it in
      > Q or from Mk?" Well, what is left then, if both is
      > from Mk: AUTOS UMAS
      > BAPTISEI [EN] PURI ?

      Yes.

      I would suggest that this may be a literary judgement
      based on the parallel (Mt 3:12 / Lk 3:17 / Q). Here we
      have a mention of "fire" at the end of the pericope,
      being in an antithical relationship to the previous
      mention of "water" at the beginning. The use of "holy
      spirit" or even "spirit" does not seem to fit this
      context. I would also suggest that the phrase "Holy
      Spirit" is a later theological construct and does not
      sound primitive (IMHO), and probably reflects a later
      development of the text.

      =====
      John Rutledge