Re: [Synoptic-L] A discussion of the different endings of Mark

  • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2002
      Interesting. I'm someone skeptical of the claims about
      a larger edition of Mark existing, however.

      > 1) I believe that Matthew, Mark, and Luke
      > were the authors of the Gospels bearing
      > their names;

      I almost agree with you. I believe there is a third source
      behind Mt (in addition to Mk and Q), what was written
      by Matthew, and which gave Mt its name, and gave rise
      to Papias' tradition. This would be the so-called
      Special Matthew material.

      > 2) I believe that a version of all of the synoptics existed prior to 70
      > AD;

      I agree here too. There is nothing about the predictions of
      Jerusalem's fall that actually require a post-70 AD date. In fact,
      the juxtaposition of predictions of Jerusalem's fall with eschatological
      sayings in Mt pretty much require a pre-70 AD date.

      I would date Q to pre-crucifixion notes of sayings. Special Matthew
      should probably be dated before a significant Gentile population was
      in the church, given how Jewish in form and content it is, maybe as
      early as the 30's. I take seriously the traditions of Mark (and Peter)
      being behind Mk, and Peter being in Rome in the 40's, and think Mk
      should probably be dated that early.

      > 3) I believe in Markan priority, at least in the sense that Matthew and
      > Luke used something written by Mark.

      Again, I agree, though perhaps in a different sense. I think Mk was
      written originally on a codex, and that very few copies were circulating.
      So few, that time, chance, and active persecution nearly made them
      all extinct. Luke worked from a copy that was missing some leaves.
      This is why he has no parallels to Mk 6:45-8:26 (except for a Mk-Q
      overlap at Mk 8:11-12||Q 11:16,29), nor to verse in Mt that I think
      came from the "lost" ending of Mk.

      The editor of Mt evidently had an intact copy of Mk, as he has the
      missing verses cited above. He may have even had the final leaf
      of Mk, as I think Mt 28:9-10 may be from this. In Mk 16:8, they
      run off telling no one because they are so afraid, so in Mt 28:9-10,
      Jesus himself appears to the women and reiterates what the
      angel told them, so now they do tell the disciples. Continuing
      that narrative thread, Mt 28:16-20 seem likely candidates for
      being from the full original Mk.

      I'd date Lk-Acts to about the time that Acts abruptly ends (62 AD),
      and Mt no later than the late 60's, but probably early 60's since
      the editor isn't familiar with Lk.

      After that, all complete copies of Mk vanished, leaving us with Mk
      ending at 16:8, which as you note, was variously completed.

      ><> Jeffrey Glen Jackson, son of Albert, son of George, son of <><
      ><> Henry, son of Miles, son of Randolph, son of Ephraim, son of <><
      ><> Thomas, son of John, son of Thomas, .... sonne of Jack. <><
      mailto:jeff@... http://www.jeff-jackson.com
      "The blithe 'reconstruction' not only of Q, not only of its different
      stages of composition, but even of complete communities whose
      beliefs are accurately reflected in these different stages, betokens
      a naive willingness to believe in anything as long as it is nothing
      like Mark (let alone Paul)." N. T. Wright

    • David Inglis
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
        Frank Schmuck wrote:

        > I like what you have written. I don't know how you feel about N.T.
        > Wright but during a question and answer period after a presentation he
        > suddenly began talking about his personal views on the ending of Mark.
        > It was a bit strange as the question had to do with his perception of
        > the personal views of a rival. Anyway he stated that he thought Mark
        > ended "bizarrely" and that it was fairly obvious that someone tried to
        > "fix" it. He then went on to talk about how "bizarrely" it begins.
        > Wham! Suddenly you're with John the Baptist. He also speculated that
        > the first sentence could also have been added to "fix" Mark's beginning.
        >
        > But why? Assuming the text was in the hands of those who felt this was
        > a sacred text, why did someone feel that Mark's Gospel need to be fixed
        > at the beginning and at the end? He then went on to talk about damage
        > to scrolls tended to be on the ends - the beginning and on the end -
        > possibly due to a mishap such as a fire or water damage while in
        > storage. If it was damaged the keeper would need to somehow "fix" the
        > problem. Hence, the fixing of Mark at the beginning and the fixing of
        > Mark at the end.

        Frank,

        I can see that damage to the ends of the scroll is possible, but I think it
        unlikely. Consider the beginning of the scroll. Because of the way text is
        written on a scroll, damage wouldn't normally affect just the first
        sentence, or even the first few sentences. Instead, damage would affect the
        left-hand side of the first column (and most likely the corners first), and
        then spread rightwards. Once the first column was totally lost, further
        damage would then affect the left-hand side of the second column, and so on.
        So, any 'fixing' would most likely consist of reconstructing lines that had
        lost the left-hand portion, rather than replacing a sentence or two at the
        beginning. As to the cause of the damage, it would almost certainly be some
        kind of 'traumatic' damage (e.g. fire or flood as you suggest), because
        otherwise it would have been possible to copy the scroll before the text was
        totally lost. Also, we need (I think) to assume that this happened after
        the author (Mark) was dead, because otherwise re-constructing the beginning
        would not have been a problem.

        Now, the problem with all this is that there is NO evidence that any other
        beginning of Mark ever existed. This implies either that no other copies
        existed when the damage occurred, or that all existing copies (apart from
        this one) were destroyed for some reason. As the evidence strongly suggests
        that both Rome and Alexandria had very early copies of some form of Mark,
        then it seems to me unlikely that (for example) the Church in Alexandria
        could arrange for all other copies of Mark to be destroyed to keep their
        copy 'sacred'. In other words, I don't see how damage (even very early
        damage) to a single scroll of Mark could result in the situation we have
        today, where there is no evidence of any other beginning.

        The situation regarding the end of Mark is different. There are multiple
        different endings in the MSS, and a general belief that 16:8 was not
        intended to be the ending. Although some people do argue that Mark could
        have ended at this point, I personally think this is 'clutching at straws',
        and that it is much more likely that 16:8 was not intended to be the ending.
        Could this be due to damage? Possibly, but the problem here is that the end
        of a scroll is usually the most protected part, because it's in the center
        of the roll. Therefore, flood (and in particular fire) damage is unlikely
        to affect the end until the rest of the scroll is also affected. It is also
        almost impossible to think of a process (other than general wear and tear as
        a result of unrolling and rolling) that would result in damage to BOTH ends
        of a scroll, and again, wear and tear is easily fixed by making a new copy.

        So, although the beginning could have been damaged, the evidence strongly
        suggests that it wasn't. Conversely, the evidence suggests that the end
        might have been damaged, but the physical characteristics of a scroll make
        it very unlikely.

        Dave Inglis
        david@...
        3538 O'Connor Drive
        Lafayette, CA, USA

      • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
          > I can see that damage to the ends of the scroll is possible, but I think it
          > unlikely. Consider the beginning of the scroll. Because of the way text is

          You're making the rather significant assumption that Mk was
          written on a scroll in the early days. As far as I know (I'm
          sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :-), but there has
          never been a scroll of the Gospels found. They are all codices.
          Even p52 is written on both sides, and so is almost certainly
          from a codex. I would suggest that the reason the codex immediately
          became the popular, nay universal, form of Christian sacred texts was
          because their economy dictated that they were written on codices
          from the beginning.

          > beginning of Mark ever existed. This implies either that no other copies
          > existed when the damage occurred, or that all existing copies (apart from
          > this one) were destroyed for some reason. As the evidence strongly suggests
          > that both Rome and Alexandria had very early copies of some form of Mark,

          How early are you considering "very early"? As I noted earlier,
          the copy Luke worked from was missing not only the end, but
          likely a few leaves from the middle too. Although I think
          this would be in the 60's, even allowing for more common dates
          of the gospels, we're still talking about the 70's or 80's. It doesn't
          take much imagination to imagine all intact copies being lost at
          a time when you could probably count all the copies ever made
          on your fingers.

        • David Inglis
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
            Jeffrey Jackson wrote:

            > > I can see that damage to the ends of the scroll is possible, but I think
            it
            > > unlikely. Consider the beginning of the scroll. Because of the way
            text is

            > You're making the rather significant assumption that Mk was
            > written on a scroll in the early days.

            I was simply replying to Frank Schmuck's anecdote about N.T.Wright talking
            about possible damage to a hypothetical scroll of Mark - I wasn't making any
            assumption about the existence of such a scroll at all. This is the
            situation as I understand it:

            "Among Christians the papyrus scrolls commonly used when the Old Testament
            was written were being replaced by papyrus codices by no later than 100 AD,
            and then by parchment codices by around 300 AD. Among Christian MSS found
            in Egypt the codex predominates as early as 200 AD, and all of the few 2nd
            century Christian MSS fragments which have been found are from codices. Of
            the 172 extant biblical MSS or fragments written before 400 AD, 92% are
            codices, in complete contrast to the 9% of extant secular MSS of the same
            period that are codices."

            > > beginning of Mark ever existed. This implies either that no other
            copies
            > > existed when the damage occurred, or that all existing copies (apart
            from
            > > this one) were destroyed for some reason. As the evidence strongly
            suggests
            > > that both Rome and Alexandria had very early copies of some form of
            Mark,

            > How early are you considering "very early"?

            By around 62-65 AD.

            > As I noted earlier,
            > the copy Luke worked from was missing not only the end, but
            > likely a few leaves from the middle too.

            It is true that Luke does not include some text that is in Mark, but your
            interpretation of the reason for this is just one of a number of
            possibilities.

            > Although I think
            > this would be in the 60's, even allowing for more common dates
            > of the gospels, we're still talking about the 70's or 80's. It doesn't
            > take much imagination to imagine all intact copies being lost at
            > a time when you could probably count all the copies ever made
            > on your fingers.

            As you earlier suggested to me that the writers of both Luke and Matthew had
            different copies of Mark, you would need to allow for both Luke and Matthew
            having been written before this happened, plus then account for why all the
            copies of Mark were lost, but not the copies of Matthew, Luke, or John. I
            think it does, in fact, take quite a bit of imagination to imagine this
            happening.

            Dave Inglis
            david@...
            3538 O'Connor Drive
            Lafayette, CA, USA

          • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
              > I was simply replying to Frank Schmuck's anecdote about N.T.Wright talking
              > about possible damage to a hypothetical scroll of Mark - I wasn't making any
              > assumption about the existence of such a scroll at all.

              Fair enough. I should have been more careful in making assumptions
              myself. I just assumed since you didn't challenge the scroll scenario,
              you agreed with it. A codex makes it easy for individual pages to
              be damaged at the beginning and end and for whole signatures to be
              lost from the center.

              > Of
              > the 172 extant biblical MSS or fragments written before 400 AD, 92% are
              > codices,

              This doesn't say if any of the 8% remainder are Gospels or not. I could
              have sworn I read somewhere that there were no positively identified
              Gospel scrolls. Be that as it may, I don't think an isolated scroll would
              negate the argument that it seems very possible if not out right likely
              that the Gospels were on codices from the beginning.

              > It is true that Luke does not include some text that is in Mark, but your
              > interpretation of the reason for this is just one of a number of
              > possibilities.

              I find it difficult to come up with another plausible explanation of
              the omission of nine diverse, unrelated, consecutive pericopes, while
              elsewhere he hardly ever skips over even a single isolated pericope.
              Short of rejecting Marcan priority, in which case its a non-issue,
              I just don't see any explanation based on his not "liking" those
              pericopes to be plausible.

              > As you earlier suggested to me that the writers of both Luke and Matthew had
              > different copies of Mark, you would need to allow for both Luke and Matthew
              > having been written before this happened, plus then account for why all the
              > copies of Mark were lost, but not the copies of Matthew, Luke, or John. I
              > think it does, in fact, take quite a bit of imagination to imagine this
              > happening.

              Allow me then to engage in some imagination then (as an exercise to
              see just how much is actually needed). Come 60 AD, there are a
              handful of copies of Mk in existence made over the previous decade
              give or take, most maybe even made in Rome where Mk was written
              in the first place. Mt and Lk are written utilizing a couple of these.
              Now come 64 AD, Rome burns, perhaps losing most copies there,
              and the church enters an era of persecution. Christian scribal resources
              are limited, so most effort goes into producing copies of Mt and Lk.
              In fact, no copies of Mk, Q, Special Matthew may have been made over
              the next decade or so. Q and Special Matthew were completely lost.
              Mk was reduced to either a single defective manuscript, or a small
              number of copies of a defective manuscript (i.e., missing the end).
              I'm pretty sure I remember reading that for a long time, more copies
              of Mt and Lk were made then Mk, the numbers starting to equal out
              when single codices containing all four Gospels became common.
              I don't think it much of a leap to apply that to the 60's and 70's as
              well, when the resources to make copies would have been even more
              limited than they were in the following centuries.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
                Jeffrey Glen Jackson wrote:

                > This doesn't say if any of the 8% remainder are Gospels or not. I could
                > have sworn I read somewhere that there were no positively identified
                > Gospel scrolls. Be that as it may, I don't think an isolated scroll would
                > negate the argument that it seems very possible if not out right likely
                > that the Gospels were on codices from the beginning.

                It's quite possible, and I believe it's likely, but I doubt that we'll ever
                be able to prove it one way or the other.

                > I find it difficult to come up with another plausible explanation of
                > the omission of nine diverse, unrelated, consecutive pericopes, while
                > elsewhere he hardly ever skips over even a single isolated pericope.
                > Short of rejecting Marcan priority, in which case its a non-issue,
                > I just don't see any explanation based on his not "liking" those
                > pericopes to be plausible.

                The evidence from Dave Gentile's recent HHBC analysis suggested that Matthew
                and Luke may have known a Proto-Mark, which was then expanded by Mark later.
                I discussed the issue of the Markan material that does not appear in Matthew
                or Luke in the document that I asked people to comment on. Are you saying
                that you think that my particular explanation is not plausible, or did you
                not see that part of the document?

                > > As you earlier suggested to me that the writers of both Luke and Matthew
                had
                > > different copies of Mark, you would need to allow for both Luke and
                Matthew
                > > having been written before this happened, plus then account for why all
                the
                > > copies of Mark were lost, but not the copies of Matthew, Luke, or John.
                > > think it does, in fact, take quite a bit of imagination to imagine this
                > > happening.
                >
                > Allow me then to engage in some imagination then (as an exercise to
                > see just how much is actually needed). Come 60 AD, there are a
                > handful of copies of Mk in existence made over the previous decade
                > give or take, most maybe even made in Rome where Mk was written
                > in the first place. Mt and Lk are written utilizing a couple of these.
                > Now come 64 AD, Rome burns, perhaps losing most copies there,
                > and the church enters an era of persecution.

                The point about Rome is a good one. No doubt many MSS were lost.

                > Christian scribal resources
                > are limited, so most effort goes into producing copies of Mt and Lk.

                I'm not convinced by this, mainly because I don't believe that any
                organization existed by this time that could have decided to favor Matthew
                and Luke over Mark. Instead, I think that at this time copying was either
                an individual effort, or at most individual churches would copy the
                documents that were most 'precious' to them. So, while other churches may
                have been copying Matthew and Luke, I think it likely that the Roman
                Christians would be mainly copying Mark

                > In fact, no copies of Mk, Q, Special Matthew may have been made over
                > the next decade or so. Q and Special Matthew were completely lost.

                This presupposes that Q and Special Matthew actually existed as specific
                documents in the first place, something that has often been assumed, but
                never proved.

                > Mk was reduced to either a single defective manuscript, or a small
                > number of copies of a defective manuscript (i.e., missing the end).
                > I'm pretty sure I remember reading that for a long time, more copies
                > of Mt and Lk were made then Mk, the numbers starting to equal out
                > when single codices containing all four Gospels became common.

                This (I assume) is deduced from looking at the numbers of extant MSS from
                different centuries, which is also something I discussed in the document
                that I asked for comments on.

                > I don't think it much of a leap to apply that to the 60's and 70's as
                > well, when the resources to make copies would have been even more
                > limited than they were in the following centuries.

                What is the evidence for the lack of resources needed to make copies? It
                only takes one person with a piece of parchment to make a copy.

                Dave Inglis
                david@...
                3538 O'Connor Drive
                Lafayette, CA, USA

              • David Gentile
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
                  Dave Inglis wrote:

                  > The evidence from Dave Gentile's recent HHBC analysis suggested that
                  Matthew
                  > and Luke may have known a Proto-Mark, which was then expanded by Mark
                  later.

                  Actually, I'd have to say the HHBC analysis was neutral on that point. It
                  did not exclude the possibility, but it really didn't turn up any
                  significant support. However, I think it did place some limitations on
                  proto-Mark. The "great omission" material does seem to be in the general
                  style of Mark, and at least a significant portion of the 020 "sonndergut
                  Mark", must have been caused by omissions in Luke and Matthew, and not by
                  additions to a proto-Mark by Mark. So, I think the study was most
                  consistent with a proto-Mark that had relatively minor differences, or no
                  proto-Mark at all.

                  Dave Gentile
                  Riverside, Illinois
                  M.S. Physics
                  Ph.D. Management Science candidate

                • Jeffrey Glen Jackson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 12, 2002
                    > I discussed the issue of the Markan material that does not appear in Matthew
                    > or Luke in the document that I asked people to comment on. Are you saying
                    > that you think that my particular explanation is not plausible, or did you
                    > not see that part of the document?

                    I didn't think that had anything to do with the pericopes in question
                    since they do appear in Matthew and would, I assume have been
                    then in your proto-Mk. Or are you suggesting that a significant amount
                    of material was copied from Mt into canonical Mk? I didn't get that from
                    your paper.

                    > I'm not convinced by this, mainly because I don't believe that any
                    > organization existed by this time that could have decided to favor Matthew
                    > and Luke over Mark. Instead, I think that at this time copying was either

                    I don't think it is necessary to posit an organized decision. Any individual
                    in possession of both Mk and one of Lk or Mt would likely make the
                    same decision to copy Lk or Mt over Mk since the former includes so
                    much of the later.

                    > an individual effort, or at most individual churches would copy the
                    > documents that were most 'precious' to them. So, while other churches may
                    > have been copying Matthew and Luke, I think it likely that the Roman
                    > Christians would be mainly copying Mark

                    This may well be true up until the fire and subsequent persecutions.

                    > This (I assume) is deduced from looking at the numbers of extant MSS from
                    > different centuries, which is also something I discussed in the document
                    > that I asked for comments on.

                    Yes, but you practically refute your thesis yourself. Copies of
                    some form of Mk existed outside Alexandria. The lack of manuscripts
                    seems more because Mt and Lk were preferred over Mk.

                    > What is the evidence for the lack of resources needed to make copies? It
                    > only takes one person with a piece of parchment to make a copy.

                    When I say "resources" I'm thinking scribes, not a lack of paper and
                    ink. I would think it would be virtually a tautology that there were
                    a lot fewer Christians in the 60's and 70's, and hence a lot fewer
                    Christian scribes available to make copies. Granted it only takes
                    one person to make a copy, but that person must invest a lot of time.
                    If he has to make a choice between Mt/Lk and Mk, I'm betting he'd
                    probably choose Mt/Lk, they being largely supersets, and only
                    later when the church was lager and more organized would resources
                    be directed to copying lesser important manuscripts.

                    I'd like to comment on the Clement letter itself some, but its
                    getting late, and I have to get to bed. Maybe later this week.

                    ><> Jeffrey Glen Jackson, son of Albert, son of George, son of <><
                    ><> Henry, son of Miles, son of Randolph, son of Ephraim, son of <><
                    ><> Thomas, son of John, son of Thomas, .... sonne of Jack. <><
                    mailto:jeff@... http://www.jeff-jackson.com
                    "The blithe 'reconstruction' not only of Q, not only of its different stages of
                    composition, but even of complete communities whose beliefs are
                    accurately reflected in these different stages, betokens a naive
                    willingness to believe in anything as long as it is nothing like Mark
                    (let alone Paul)." N. T. Wright

                  • Emmanuel Fritsch
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                      David Gentile a écrit :

                      > Dave Inglis wrote:
                      >
                      > > The evidence from Dave Gentile's recent HHBC analysis suggested
                      > > that Matthew and Luke may have known a Proto-Mark, which was
                      > > then expanded by Mark later.
                      >
                      > Actually, I'd have to say the HHBC analysis was neutral on that point. It
                      > did not exclude the possibility, but it really didn't turn up any
                      > significant support. However, I think it did place some limitations on
                      > proto-Mark. The "great omission" material does seem to be in the general
                      > style of Mark, and at least a significant portion of the 020 "sonndergut
                      > Mark", must have been caused by omissions in Luke and Matthew, and not by
                      > additions to a proto-Mark by Mark.

                      - Do we have on-line ressource that list 020 "sonndergut
                      Mark", "double tradition", and so on ?

                      - What is according you the general style of Mark ?

                      - Do you include in the "general style of Mark" the lukanisms
                      pointed out by Boismard ?

                      a+
                      manu

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                        In a message dated 3/12/2002 10:43:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        GentDave@... writes:

                        << The "great omission" material does seem to be in the general
                        style of Mark, and at least a significant portion of the 020 "sonndergut
                        Mark", must have been caused by omissions in Luke and Matthew, and not by
                        additions to a proto-Mark by Mark. So, I think the study was most
                        consistent with a proto-Mark that had relatively minor differences, or no
                        proto-Mark at all. >>

                        This conclusion is significant, if solid. Especially if linked to the
                        following statement by William Farmer in a recent essay ("The Case for the
                        Two-Gospel Hypothesis", in **Rethinking the Synoptic Problem**, eds. David
                        Allen Black and David R. Beck, Baker Academic 2001, 133):

                        "Helmut Koester, in his major address, laid out in detail convincing
                        linguistic evidence that the text of canonical Mark that we have -- was
                        written after the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. This little time bomb from
                        Harvard University has yet to explode in the minds of those who still think
                        in terms of Mark being our earliest Gospel".

                        Koester himself, of course, believes that an earlier form of Mark was
                        available to, and used by Matthew and Luke. But if the evidence shows that
                        the latest edition of Mark is not appreciably different from any earlier
                        edition, and if Koester's observations are still taken seriously, then the
                        Two Gospel Hypothesis has all but been demonstrated, at least from one point
                        of view: the Markan Gospel we have (which is the only one that can reasonably
                        be posited) was written later than Matthew and Luke.

                      • dgentil@sears.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                          Leonard,

                          Obviously I'd have to see what Koester's arguments are (And I would be very
                          interested in seeing them),
                          but it is quite possible that his idea of a proto-Mark is consistent with
                          the analysis I did.
                          I think all the analysis can do is place some limitations on proto-Mark.
                          For example I think the analysis
                          can tell us that probably most of the 020-sonndergut-Mark material was in
                          the same style as the rest of Mark.
                          However, if Koester thought that say 30% or even less of 020 was added
                          later, that might not be inconsistent
                          with the analysis.

                          The method I used could be used to test various ideas too, if the required
                          data was gathered.
                          For example, if it was proposed that some 20% of 020 was non-Markian in
                          origin, then
                          those pieces could be gathered up, and word counts done on them, and they
                          could be compared
                          to the larger sections, to see if they had a similar style, assuming the
                          text sample was large enough.

                          But, one thing to keep in mind is that probably the most definite finding
                          of the analysis was that Luke seems
                          to have had a source at least very similar to Mark. 222, 022 and most
                          importantly 122 material (triple tradition words shared by Luke and Mark)
                          consistently showed themselves to be related to other Markian categories,
                          and not to Luke.

                          Dave Gentile
                          Riverside, Illinois
                          M.S. Physics
                          Ph.D. Management Science candidate

                          Maluflen@...@... on 03/13/2002 09:31:59 AM

                          Sent by: owner-synoptic-l@...

                          To: GentDave@..., Synoptic-L@...
                          cc:

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                            Emmanuel Fritsch asked:

                            - Do we have on-line ressource that list 020 "sonndergut
                            Mark", "double tradition", and so on ?

                            ========
                            In
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic-l/files/final%20results/

                            the document
                            bib-results.xls

                            has the results of the last analysis.

                            020 is related at the .0003 confidence level to:
                            121
                            021
                            120
                            also at the .01 confidence level to:
                            221
                            =========

                            - What is according you the general style of Mark ?

                            ========

                            I think we probably have to take 121 as the category most representative of
                            Mark, in general. However, we need to keep in mind that by itself it also
                            can reflect, at least to some extent, words that tended to be rejected by
                            Matthew and Luke.

                            The fact that 020 and 121 look very similar, probably means that they both
                            had the same author (or authors), at least for the most part.

                            ========

                            - Do you include in the "general style of Mark" the lukanisms
                            pointed out by Boismard ?

                            =========

                            The analysis is likely to pick up large scale phenomenon, but unlikely to
                            be effected much by
                            small details. If final Mark contained some small fragments borrowed from
                            Luke, but
                            they represented only a small fraction of the total text, then the analysis
                            would probably
                            not reflect this.

                            So, I think the analysis says that for the most part the arrow is Mark=>
                            Luke
                            but it still could be Luke => Mark in a minority of cases.

                            Dave Gentile
                            Riverside, Illinois
                            M.S. Physics
                            Ph.D. Management Science candidate

                            Emmanuel Fritsch <emmanuel.fritsch@...>@... on 03/13/2002
                            02:31:13 AM

                            Sent by: owner-synoptic-l@...

                            To: David Gentile <GentDave@...>
                            cc: Synoptic-L@...

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                              > - Do we have on-line ressource that list 020 "sonndergut
                              > Mark", "double tradition", and so on ?
                              > In
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic-l/files/final%20results/

                              I am sorry, Dave, I did not understand you were speaking about
                              your results. I am not depreciative with them, but I was looking
                              for another thing : the real "sonndergut Mark", ie the lists of
                              verses and words that are special to Mark.

                              Only by that mean, I think, your theory about proto-Mk may be checked.
                              I should be checked on real sondergut how it has been changed in Mt
                              and Lk (for Markan priorist) or how it has been added (for markan
                              posteriorist), or perhabs both.

                              a+
                              manu

                            • dgentil@sears.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                                Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

                                I don't think the HBB lists the location of all the 020 passages.
                                I can check tonight.

                                It's easy to check if they've labeled a specific passage as "020",
                                but I think producing a list of them would be a sizeable task.

                                Dave Gentile
                                Riverside, Illinois
                                M.S. Physics
                                Ph.D. Management Science candidate

                                Emmanuel Fritsch <emmanuel.fritsch@...>@... on 03/13/2002
                                12:36:45 PM

                                Sent by: owner-synoptic-l@...

                                To: dgentil@..., synoptic-l@...
                                cc:

                                > - Do we have on-line ressource that list 020 "sonndergut
                                > Mark", "double tradition", and so on ?
                                > In
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/synoptic-l/files/final%20results/

                                I am sorry, Dave, I did not understand you were speaking about
                                your results. I am not depreciative with them, but I was looking
                                for another thing : the real "sonndergut Mark", ie the lists of
                                verses and words that are special to Mark.

                                Only by that mean, I think, your theory about proto-Mk may be checked.
                                I should be checked on real sondergut how it has been changed in Mt
                                and Lk (for Markan priorist) or how it has been added (for markan
                                posteriorist), or perhabs both.

                                a+
                                manu

                              • John Lupia
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 13, 2002
                                  > > Frank Schmuck wrote:

                                  [snip]

                                  > N.T. Wright feels that Mark's
                                  > Gospel need to be fixed
                                  > > > at the beginning and at the end? He then went
                                  > on to talk about damage
                                  > > > to scrolls tended to be on the ends - the
                                  > beginning and on the end -
                                  > > > possibly due to a mishap such as a fire or water
                                  > damage while in
                                  > > > storage. If it was damaged the keeper would
                                  > need to somehow "fix" the
                                  > > > problem. Hence, the fixing of Mark at the
                                  > beginning and the fixing of
                                  > > > Mark at the end.
                                  [snip]

                                  Dave Inglis wrote:

                                  > > written on a scroll, damage wouldn't normally
                                  > affect just the first
                                  > > sentence, or even the first few sentences.
                                  > Instead, damage would affect the
                                  > > left-hand side of the first column (and most
                                  > likely the corners first), and
                                  > > then spread rightwards. Once the first column was
                                  > totally lost, further
                                  > > damage would then affect the left-hand side of the
                                  > second column, and so on.

                                  [snip]

                                  > > The situation regarding the end of Mark is
                                  > different. There are multiple
                                  > > different endings in the MSS, and a general belief
                                  > that 16:8 was not
                                  > > intended to be the ending. Although some people
                                  > do argue that Mark could
                                  > > have ended at this point, I personally think this
                                  > is 'clutching at straws',
                                  > > and that it is much more likely that 16:8 was not
                                  > intended to be the ending.
                                  > > Could this be due to damage? Possibly, but the
                                  > problem here is that the end
                                  > > of a scroll is usually the most protected part,
                                  > because it's in the center
                                  > > of the roll. Therefore, flood (and in particular
                                  > fire) damage is unlikely
                                  > > to affect the end until the rest of the scroll is
                                  > also affected. It is also
                                  > > almost impossible to think of a process (other
                                  > than general wear and tear as
                                  > > a result of unrolling and rolling) that would
                                  > result in damage to BOTH ends
                                  > > of a scroll, and again, wear and tear is easily
                                  > fixed by making a new copy.
                                  > >
                                  > > So, although the beginning could have been
                                  > damaged, the evidence strongly
                                  > > suggests that it wasn't. Conversely, the evidence
                                  > suggests that the end
                                  > > might have been damaged, but the physical
                                  > characteristics of a scroll make
                                  > > it very unlikely.

                                  I have two questions. First, to Frank Schmuck or
                                  anyone else: could you provide the bibliographic
                                  citation of N.T. Wright where he discusses the damaged
                                  scroll theory?

                                  Second, is to Dave inglis: could you provide
                                  bibliographic sources that state your view about
                                  scrolls and damage. I find the view you presented not
                                  only highly improbable but counter to the finds in
                                  papyrology. Nowhere in the literature has such a view
                                  on scroll endings being the "most protected part,
                                  because its in the center of the roll." ever been
                                  stated by any papyrologist. Rather, the opposite view
                                  has been well established. The "ends" of a scroll are
                                  not in the "middle" but on the end. However, there
                                  may be some literature that states the position you
                                  presented that has interesting explanations that may
                                  be worthwhile.

                                  The following is an entry I wrote for the _Lexicon for
                                  Biblical Research _begun in 1993 by myself. The entry
                                  "deumbilication" was one of the first written in 1993.

                                  deumbilication, a papyrological term which makes
                                  convenient the description of the condition of a
                                  scroll that has lost its umbilicus or winding rod.
                                  First, as papyri aged they became brittle, and the
                                  affixed rod would break off. Second, umbilci were
                                  made from ivory or gilt wood which were frequently
                                  stolen for their resale in the market. When this
                                  occurred by either cause it easily mutilated the
                                  beginning and/or end of the roll where it was
                                  attached. It appears highly probable that the reason
                                  why the Gospel of Mark has two variations at the end
                                  are the direct result of deumbilication where the
                                  umbilicus attached to the end of the papyrus roll
                                  broke off removing the final column of text. The
                                  extant copies of this deumbilicated text were
                                  reproduced at scriptoria where the scribes perpetuated
                                  this version of the text they had as an archetype.
                                  Hence, the scribal center which had the broken
                                  fragmented end of the roll due to the deumbilication
                                  process produced the shorter ending version. This
                                  same process is also the same if the Gospel of Mark
                                  was written on a codex, since sewn leaves frequently
                                  became detached particularly the last quire. In this
                                  case the last folio broke off leaving the shorter
                                  ending in a scriptorium that employed it as an
                                  archetype. In either case the shorter ending of Mark
                                  is easily explained and highly consistent with papyri
                                  damage known.

                                  Best regards,
                                  John

                                  =====
                                  John N. Lupia
                                  501 North Avenue B-1
                                  Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 15, 2002
                                    In a message dated 3/13/2002 11:36:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    dgentil@... writes:

                                    << Obviously I'd have to see what Koester's arguments are (And I would be very
                                    interested in seeing them), but it is quite possible that his idea of a
                                    proto-Mark is consistent with the analysis I did. I think all the analysis
                                    can do is place some limitations on proto-Mark. For example I think the
                                    analysis can tell us that probably most of the 020-sonndergut-Mark material
                                    was in the same style as the rest of Mark. >>

                                    I really have serious problems with the whole methodology being used here.
                                    Part of my problem may however be lack of clarity (on my part) regarding what
                                    you are attempting to accomplish through your statistical analyses and
                                    regarding your fundamental presuppositions. When you say here, for example,
                                    that "probably most of the 020-sondergut-Mark material was in the same style
                                    as the rest of Mark", are you really talking about the material Mark used for
                                    his Sondergut passages (as opposed to those passages themselves), and does
                                    the phrase "as the rest of Mark" mean as the rest of Mark's Gospel that we
                                    have, or as the source used in the rest of Mark's Gospel? And are you
                                    presupposing (or does it just seem that you are) that Mark could not have
                                    written anything on his own, and that everything in our Mark must have been
                                    copied from a source? Until all of these questions, and more, are fully
                                    cleared up, and your presuppositions themselves carefully evaluated, I don't
                                    see how sound conclusions regarding the likely sequence or dependency among
                                    the Synoptic Gospels can be validly drawn from any of your statistical
                                    analyses. So far I have not been persuaded that they lead anywhere that is
                                    even remotely definitive. Perhaps you could help me (and possibly others on
                                    the list) by stating clearly which solutions to the Synoptic Problem you
                                    believe you have shown to be unlikely and precisely why? In fact, I would be
                                    most interested in your reasons for concluding that your analyses render
                                    unlikely the Two-Gospel hypothesis (if indeed that is your conclusion).

                                  • dgentil@sears.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 15, 2002
                                      Hello Leonard,

                                      I have had the opportunity to write this up as a class project, but I don't
                                      think that paper is suitable for this group.
                                      Its audience was entirely unfamiliar with the synoptic problem, and
                                      completely familiar with the mathematics employed.
                                      (I received a "B")

                                      However, writing it up did organize the presentation in my mind. It breaks
                                      down into 4 parts.
                                      1) The background of the synoptic problem
                                      2) The data
                                      3) The analysis
                                      4) The interpretation

                                      I'm satisfied, myself, that the mathematical techniques employed are sound,
                                      and only the interpretation of the results is seriously questionable, and
                                      to a lesser extent the categorization of the data. I think the techniques
                                      employed in the analysis can be explained conceptually without knowledge of
                                      the specific mathematics, as long as the listener is prepared to accept
                                      that portion, without examining it in detail.

                                      Let me skip ahead just briefly to the conclusion. At present, I believe the
                                      FH and the 3SH with a small sQ, as Ron Price proposes, are the simplest
                                      solutions that are fully consistent with the results. I favor the 3SH, but
                                      mostly for reasons not related to the analysis. Also, more complex
                                      solutions that build on the basic structure of those hypotheses are also
                                      quite possible, and fully consistent with the results. For example, I still
                                      doubt Mark is completely original, but I've certainly been persuaded, that
                                      its at least pretty close. Solutions with a proto-Matthew are still strong
                                      candidates, but I think they have to be rather complex, before they do as
                                      well as the 3SH does.

                                      But let's start with the data first. Are you familiar with what the HBB
                                      categories represent,
                                      and some possible issues with how the data was categorized?

                                      The codes the HBB uses are as follows:
                                      The first digit refers to Matthew, the second Mark, and the third Luke.
                                      A "2" means the word occurs. A "1" means there is a parallel without the
                                      word. A "0" means no parallel.
                                      For example "202" means words in the double tradition that Matthew and Luke
                                      have in common.
                                      "221" means words in the triple tradition, that are shared by Matthew, and
                                      Mark, but not Luke.
                                      "212" means the "minor agreements".
                                      Etc.
                                      The largest issue is probably that they assumed the 2SH in categorizing the
                                      "Mark/Q overlap".
                                      Things that are arguably "222" are categorised as "202" and "020", for
                                      example.
                                      While that's certainly an issue, by keeping that fact in mind, I think it
                                      is still possible to interpret results of analysis based
                                      on the data.

                                      Are there any questions at this point?

[...]

                                    • Ken Olson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 15, 2002
                                        On March 15, David Gentile wrote:

                                        >>At present, I believe the FH and the 3SH with a small sQ, as Ron Price
                                        proposes, are the simplest solutions that are fully consistent with the
                                        results.<<

                                        Dave,

                                        I've been travelling for the past two months and haven't been keeping up on
                                        recent developments. The last time I looked, you did not consider the
                                        "simple" FH fully consistent with the results. The problem, if I remember
                                        correctly, was a high correlation between 202 and 102. What's your current
                                        thinking on this?

                                        Also, my condolences on the "B". Your efforts are more highly appreciated
                                        on this list.

                                        Best Wishes,

                                        Ken

                                        kaolson@...

                                      • dgentil@sears.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 15, 2002
                                          Hello Ken,

                                          I'm not sure what you have missed.
                                          One development was to move away from simple correlations.
                                          The statistical tests for significance assume a normal distribution, and
                                          the distributions were not normal.
                                          The outliers were overweighted, and most of the data was under-used.
                                          Instead, I used individual Poisson distribution to describe the frequency
                                          of each Greek word.
                                          The maximum likelihood method was used to test for relationships, and
                                          a likelihood ratio test was used to test for significance. The results
                                          seemed much better.
                                          For example, we can go all the way to the .01 significance level now,
                                          without encountering any
                                          odd looking results. The technique uses the data much more efficiently too.
                                          Whereas before, only the very frequent words had a large effect. This
                                          method
                                          uses all the data effectively.

                                          The results are not that much different. Of significance here:
                                          202-200 are still related at the .0003 confidence level.
                                          However, 102-202 are only related at the .01 confidence level.

                                          A nice feature of the way I did the last analysis, was that it made it easy
                                          to look at the contribution
                                          different words made to the result. In looking at the details of 102-202 a
                                          pattern became clear.
                                          Both categories had lower than average use of the proper name "Jesus" and
                                          third person pronouns,
                                          but higher than average use of second person plural pronouns. This is just
                                          a result of who is talking.
                                          In narrative sections we expect more use of "Jesus", "himself", etc. But
                                          when Jesus is speaking to crowds,
                                          we see more use of "you".

                                          But while this effect seems to explain, the 102-202 relation, it did not
                                          seem to be a major factor in
                                          102 not being related to 112 or 002. With these effects taken into account,
                                          102 seems to form a group by itself.

                                          The groupings seem to be:

                                          (All the Markian categories, possibly with some structure within them)

                                          Matthew triple tradition group - 212, 211, 210

                                          Matthew double tradition group, with sonnedergut Matthew - 200, 201, 202

                                          Luke group - 002, 112, 012

                                          Luke's sayings - 102

                                          In looking at 201-211 it appeared specific content was at least a
                                          contributing factor in separating them.
                                          Example: Almost all the example of the word "TALENTS" are 201, but that's
                                          just because they
                                          a are in one pericope.

                                          The 202-200 connection still seemed strong, although in looking through the
                                          details, one reason for this was that Matthew occasionally repeats a phase,
                                          or part of a phrase in different contexts, whereas Luke only has it once.
                                          On the 2SH these are Q expressions that Matthew liked enough to repeat, one
                                          of the phrases is classified as 202, and the repeats as 200.
                                          If these multiple near-parallels had all been classified as 202, then the
                                          200-202 relationship would be weaker.
                                          It starts getting into the question of what is a parallel.

                                          In the new results 212-211, and 212-210 are solid connections too. With 212
                                          and 202 both being solidly related to Matthian categories, I think
                                          solutions that do not involve Luke using Matthew, need to be pretty
                                          complicated, in order to be fully consistent with the results.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 15, 2002
                                            In a message dated 3/15/2002 11:41:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                            dgentil@... writes:

                                            << I'm satisfied, myself, that the mathematical techniques employed are
                                            sound,
                                            and only the interpretation of the results is seriously questionable, and
                                            to a lesser extent the categorization of the data.>>

                                            I agree, and like your honesty here. But this is also why I am as yet
                                            undisturbed by any of your conclusions.

                                            << Let me skip ahead just briefly to the conclusion. At present, I believe the
                                            FH and the 3SH with a small sQ, as Ron Price proposes, are the simplest
                                            solutions that are fully consistent with the results. I favor the 3SH, but
                                            mostly for reasons not related to the analysis. Also, more complex
                                            solutions that build on the basic structure of those hypotheses are also
                                            quite possible, and fully consistent with the results. For example, I still
                                            doubt Mark is completely original, but I've certainly been persuaded, that
                                            its at least pretty close.>>

                                            I see, and I do hope that eventually you will be explaining to me why.

                                            << But let's start with the data first. Are you familiar with what the HBB
                                            categories represent,
                                            and some possible issues with how the data was categorized?>>

                                            I think so, but I may have some wrong notions here.

                                            << The codes the HBB uses are as follows:
                                            The first digit refers to Matthew, the second Mark, and the third Luke.
                                            A "2" means the word occurs. A "1" means there is a parallel without the
                                            word. A "0" means no parallel.
                                            For example "202" means words in the double tradition that Matthew and Luke
                                            have in common.
                                            "221" means words in the triple tradition, that are shared by Matthew, and
                                            Mark, but not Luke.
                                            "212" means the "minor agreements". Etc. >>

                                            Yes, this much has been clear enough to me for a while.

                                            << The largest issue is probably that they assumed the 2SH in categorizing the
                                            "Mark/Q overlap".
                                            Things that are arguably "222" are categorised as "202" and "020", for
                                            example.
                                            While that's certainly an issue, by keeping that fact in mind, I think it
                                            is still possible to interpret results of analysis based
                                            on the data.>>

                                            OK, I would like to see some of this, and am especially concerned with as yet
                                            unspoken presuppositions used in the analysis.

                                            << Are there any questions at this point?>>

                                            Just those, I guess. Can you move now to a specific question, namely, exactly
                                            how the results that you have reached so far seem to you to exclude the
                                            likelihood that Mark is a late gospel based on Matt and Lk? Thanks.