[Synoptic-L] Eric Franklin

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      I am sorry to be relaying the sad news that on Monday evening Eric
      Franklin died in hospital after a heart attack. Many list members
      will know Eric through his fine studies on Luke-Acts, especially
      _Christ the Lord: A Study in the Purpose and Theology of Luke-Acts_
      (London: SPCK, 1975) and _Luke: Interpreter of Paul, Critic of
      Matthew_ (JSNTSup, 92; Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1994).

      I was one of those lucky enough to have been taught by Eric. I used
      to look forward greatly to my weekly tutorials with him at St
      Stephen's House and particularly remember one when I took along an
      essay on the Synoptic Problem. I had come to the conclusion that we
      could dispense with Q and I read it out with great trepidation,
      knowing that this was a most unorthodox conclusion. To my surprise
      and delight he said at the end, "Well of course you're quite right
      about Q" but he added, "But I don't think Luke liked Matthew very
      much" and he went on to explain to me the thesis that he later
      published in his second book on Luke. He was the best kind of tutor -
      - he enthused one about whatever subject was under discussion. I'm
      sure I am not the only one who also thinks his work has been greatly
      underrated in the guild. He'll be greatly missed.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com