Re: [Synoptic-L] A successful excavation of Q ?

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      Ron Price wrote:

      > I've rather belatedly acquired a copy of Kloppenborg Verbin's
      > _Excavating Q_ (Edinburgh, T&T Clark, 2000). The book is erudite and
      > thorough . . .

      In discussing *Excavating Q*, I should first express my appreciation for
      Kloppenborg Verbin's taking the time to actually understand the synoptic
      problem, and to comment intelligently (and at length) on it. In doing so,
      Kloppenborg Verbin breaks with a long tradition of extreme ignorance about
      the synoptic problem among North American Q scholars. Many Q scholars in
      America continue to operate with a pre-Butler understanding of things (even
      though they list Butler and Farmer in their bibliographies). As far as I
      can recall, *Excavating Q* is the *only* book-length study of Q produced in
      North America that actually makes a positive contribution to the synoptic
      problem. Europe has had Tuckett and Neirynck. Now North America has
      Kloppenborg Verbin.

      In my opinion, the main weakness of *Excavating Q* has to do with its
      totalizing of social science: virtually every detail of social realia is
      turned into a clue about the origins of Q, so much so that nothing remains
      of Jesuan significance. This simply isn't realistic.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio