IMPORTANT: Re: [Synoptic-L] Move to yahoogroups?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
      Thanks for all the responses to my email about the possibility of
      moving the hosting of Synoptic-L to Yahoo!Groups. Opinions were
      pretty evenly divided -- several people were in favour because of the
      additional flexibility but several were against because of the
      advertisements. On the whole those with the strongest views tended
      to be the latter group and it has convinced me that it would be
      preferable not to move the list, not least because there are threats
      that the yahoogroups advertising will become even more pervasive than
      it is at present.

      However, I've hit on a solution that might also satisfy those in the
      first group. I've discovered a means by which I can control access
      to who is allowed to post to the list. Now the advantage with this
      is that posting privileges need no longer be tied to the receiving of
      individual emails as it is at present. Thus, should you wish to view
      Synoptic-L on the web only and yet still be allowed to post, you can
      do so. And likewise, should you wish to take the digest only and
      still be allowed to post, again you can do so. And there is an
      additional advantage that if you use more than one email account, I
      can grant posting privileges to separate accounts for each user,
      whereas at present everyone has had to choose the one account from
      which to post.

      So the result of all this is as follows:

      (1) If you are happy with the your means of posting & receiving
      Synoptic-L messages at present, you don't need to do anything.

      (2) If you would prefer to receive the Synoptic-L digest from
      yahoogroups (all messages combined into one digest sent out each day,
      includes advertisements), then send an email to Synoptic-L-
      Owner@... and just mark it "digest" as the subject header.

      (3) If you would prefer not to receive any Synoptic-L messages in
      your email but would like to view it on the web alone, then send an
      email to Synoptic-L-Owner@... and just mark it "web" as the
      subject header.

      (4) If you have more than one email address that you'd like to use
      for posting, then send a message to Synoptic-L-Owner@... and
      list the additional email address(es).

      Note: You only need to act on Options (2) and (3) if you want to post
      to the group. If you are happy just reading the list on the web or
      by digest but have no desire to post, you don't need to do anything.

      Any queries or confusion, just let me know.
      Mark

      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com