Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark and CG: Methodological Presuppositions

  • Ted Weeden
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
      Brian Wilson wrote on Thursday, February 07, 2002: 4:29 AM
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Mark and CG: Methodological Presuppositions

      > Ted Weeden wrote --
      > >
      > >So, when I read Mark, or any of the canonical Gospels, for that matter,
      > >I do so not with the view that what is being reported is history, what
      > >actually happened. I read Mark with the view that what is being shared
      > >is faith expressed in the form of story, a drama posing as history, a
      > >drama carefully constructed to win the conviction of hearers/readers to
      > >its faith perspective ...
      > >
      > Ted,
      > I am not clear whether the above is a conclusion resulting from the
      > application of your methodology to Mark, and therefore not part of your
      > methodology.
      >
      > Or is the above an assumption of your methodology, and therefore part of
      > it?
      >
      > If it is the latter, do you not need a methodology to justify your
      > methodology?

      Brian, what I am saying is that by virtue of my understanding of Hellenistic
      historians' approach to history as drama, in which one is less interested in
      providing a record of historical actuality and more interested in shaping
      history and personages to score certain moral points, I, thus, look at Mark not
      as a historian telling us the way it really was but as an evangelist, telling us
      the way he wants us to believe.

      Thanks for your question.

      Ted