Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Fatigue?

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
      At this point you know as much as I do about this material. More,
      because you probably know what a dyptych is in this context. The
      website gave me a coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

      What interests me is this one man, Markos, and his various hats:
      apostle, evangelist, nomothete and martyr, everything but simultaneous
      translator to Peter. You will recall that this discussion started when
      someone said he was more willing to accept Mark's Alexandrian residence
      than his authorship of Mk.

      It's shameful that there is nowhere available a list of Markan data,
      including things like this. It's all thrown out, since every good
      neoHeideggerean knows the Mark/Mk connection is bogus.

      tim

      Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

      > Tim Reynolds wrote:
      >
      > > "Cf. the old Greek dyptychs preserved in MSS of the
      > > Coptic Liturgy of St. Cyril, which gives a list of
      > > the bishops of Alexandria beginning with St. Mark
      > > (MARKOU TOU AGIOU APOSTOLOU KAI EVANGGELISTOU
      > > ARXIEPISKOPOU KAI MARTYROS)."
      > >
      > > B. Evetts, Hist. Patr. Coptic Church of Alexandria,
      > > Patrologia Orientalis I, (F. Greffin, ed.), p. 427.
      > >
      > > It's Greek in a Coptic font, the alphas, gammas,
      > > upsilons and mus are distinctive
      > > (http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/coptalfa.htm).
      >
      > This is good to know, but how is a line from a Coptic
      > manuscript related to our question about dating an
      > inscription that appears to be Greek?
      >
      > >From your posting, it seems that an Old Greek list of
      > Alexandrian bishops was copied into a Coptic
      > manuscript. If so, then it is not surprising that the
      > Greek letters (or only some of them?) would be written
      > in a Coptic style by the Copt who copied the list.
      >
      > The question to ask is this: What is the style of the
      > Greek letters in the inscription? Is the style Coptic?
      >
      > I looked at the website link that you provided:
      >
      > (http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/coptalfa.htm).
      >
      > It didn't seem to give any information on the
      > inscription that you originally brought to our
      > attention. Did you paste the wrong link?
      >
      > Jeffery Hodges
      >
      > =====
      > Hanshin University (Korean Theological University)
      > 447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      > Yangsandong 411
      > South Korea

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
        Tim Reynolds wrote:

        > At this point you know as much as I do about this
        > material. More, because you probably know what a
        > dyptych is in this context. The website gave me a
        > coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

        No, I don't know much. I was trying to find out more.
        Also, I was myself wondering what a dyptych is in this
        context.

        The website's Coptic alphabet probably wouldn't be the
        best to use for comparison.

        Anyway, I only entered the discussion because of the
        Coptic, which is one of the ancient languages that I
        have to work with.

        I don't know much about Markan traditions.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411