Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Fatigue?

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 7, 2002
      Tim Reynolds wrote:

      > "Cf. the old Greek dyptychs preserved in MSS of the
      > Coptic Liturgy of St. Cyril, which gives a list of
      > the bishops of Alexandria beginning with St. Mark
      > (MARKOU TOU AGIOU APOSTOLOU KAI EVANGGELISTOU
      > ARXIEPISKOPOU KAI MARTYROS)."
      >
      > B. Evetts, Hist. Patr. Coptic Church of Alexandria,
      > Patrologia Orientalis I, (F. Greffin, ed.), p. 427.
      >
      > It's Greek in a Coptic font, the alphas, gammas,
      > upsilons and mus are distinctive
      > (http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/coptalfa.htm).

      This is good to know, but how is a line from a Coptic
      manuscript related to our question about dating an
      inscription that appears to be Greek?

      From your posting, it seems that an Old Greek list of
      Alexandrian bishops was copied into a Coptic
      manuscript. If so, then it is not surprising that the
      Greek letters (or only some of them?) would be written
      in a Coptic style by the Copt who copied the list.

      The question to ask is this: What is the style of the
      Greek letters in the inscription? Is the style Coptic?

      I looked at the website link that you provided:

      (http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/coptalfa.htm).

      It didn't seem to give any information on the
      inscription that you originally brought to our
      attention. Did you paste the wrong link?

      Jeffery Hodges

      =====
      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      Yangsandong 411
      South Korea

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
        Tim Reynolds wrote:

        > At this point you know as much as I do about this
        > material. More, because you probably know what a
        > dyptych is in this context. The website gave me a
        > coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

        No, I don't know much. I was trying to find out more.
        Also, I was myself wondering what a dyptych is in this
        context.

        The website's Coptic alphabet probably wouldn't be the
        best to use for comparison.

        Anyway, I only entered the discussion because of the
        Coptic, which is one of the ancient languages that I
        have to work with.

        I don't know much about Markan traditions.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411