Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Fatigue?

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 7, 2002
      Tafasti:

      "Cf. the old Greek dyptychs preserved in MSS of the Coptic Liturgy of
      St. Cyril, which gives a list of the bishops of Alexandria beginning
      with St. Mark (MARKOU TOU AGIOU APOSTOLOU KAI EVANGGELISTOU
      ARXIEPISKOPOU KAI MARTYROS)."

      B. Evetts, Hist. Patr. Coptic Church of Alexandria, Patrologia
      Orientalis I, (F. Greffin, ed.), p. 427.

      It's Greek in a Coptic font, the alphas, gammas, upsilons and mus are
      distinctive (http://www.stshenouda.com/coptlang/coptalfa.htm).

      Over and out,

      tim

      Tim Reynolds wrote:

      > It must have differed in some way from Gk or I wouldn't have remembered
      > it as Coptic. This is all on hold until I can run down my citation in
      > the Archives. Perhaps someone could help me.
      >
      > tim
      >
      > Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
      > >
      > > Tim Reynolds wrote:
      > >
      > > > What I meant was, Gk in Coptic letters. This isn't
      > > > hypothetical, the citations were in Coptic, the only
      > > > Coptic I've ever read. So we're agreed, right?
      > >
      > > Not exactly.
      > >
      > > I guess that I need to clarify one more thing. I
      > > mentioned that Coptic borrowed the Greek alphabet and
      > > added 6 or 7 letters from Demotic Egyptian, but I
      > > neglected to explain more explicitly what this means.
      > >
      > > In Coptic texts, the Coptic words are spelled using a
      > > lot of these Demotic letters (along with many of the
      > > Greek letters), but the Greek words that appear in
      > > Coptic texts use almost only the Greek letters and
      > > almost never use any of the Demotic letters.
      > >
      > > The inscription as you have provided it does not
      > > contain any Demotic letters. This is not surprising
      > > since the words are Greek. The fact that the words are
      > > Greek and use only Greek letters does not preclude the
      > > possibility of this inscription being a Coptic
      > > inscription, but it also provides no evidence for that
      > > possibility.
      > >
      > > If you want to argue for the antiquity of the
      > > inscription, then a Greek incription fits the argument
      > > better -- as Leonard implied (I think).
      > >
      > > Incidentally, the word "Coptic" itself stems from the
      > > Greek word "Aegyptos" by way of the Arabs, who dropped
      > > the "Ae-" and the "-os" and pronounced the word as
      > > "qubti", which got anglicized as "Copt."
      > >
      > > As for Patriarch Shenouda's statement the Coptic
      > > script dates to the 3rd century B.C.E., I assume that
      > > he is referring to the Demotic that contributed the 6
      > > or 7 extra-Greek letters to Coptic. I'll take a look
      > > at the article.
      > >
      > > Jeffery Hodges
      > >
      > > =====
      > > Assistant Professor Horace Jeffery Hodges
      > > Hanshin University (Korean Theological University)
      > > 447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      > > Yangsandong 411
      > > South Korea

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
        Tim Reynolds wrote:

        > At this point you know as much as I do about this
        > material. More, because you probably know what a
        > dyptych is in this context. The website gave me a
        > coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

        No, I don't know much. I was trying to find out more.
        Also, I was myself wondering what a dyptych is in this
        context.

        The website's Coptic alphabet probably wouldn't be the
        best to use for comparison.

        Anyway, I only entered the discussion because of the
        Coptic, which is one of the ancient languages that I
        have to work with.

        I don't know much about Markan traditions.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411