Re: [Synoptic-L] Markan Fatigue?

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 1, 2002
      It must have differed in some way from Gk or I wouldn't have remembered
      it as Coptic. This is all on hold until I can run down my citation in
      the Archives. Perhaps someone could help me.

      tim

      Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

      > Tim Reynolds wrote:
      >
      > > What I meant was, Gk in Coptic letters. This isn't
      > > hypothetical, the citations were in Coptic, the only
      > > Coptic I've ever read. So we're agreed, right?
      >
      > Not exactly.
      >
      > I guess that I need to clarify one more thing. I
      > mentioned that Coptic borrowed the Greek alphabet and
      > added 6 or 7 letters from Demotic Egyptian, but I
      > neglected to explain more explicitly what this means.
      >
      > In Coptic texts, the Coptic words are spelled using a
      > lot of these Demotic letters (along with many of the
      > Greek letters), but the Greek words that appear in
      > Coptic texts use almost only the Greek letters and
      > almost never use any of the Demotic letters.
      >
      > The inscription as you have provided it does not
      > contain any Demotic letters. This is not surprising
      > since the words are Greek. The fact that the words are
      > Greek and use only Greek letters does not preclude the
      > possibility of this inscription being a Coptic
      > inscription, but it also provides no evidence for that
      > possibility.
      >
      > If you want to argue for the antiquity of the
      > inscription, then a Greek incription fits the argument
      > better -- as Leonard implied (I think).
      >
      > Incidentally, the word "Coptic" itself stems from the
      > Greek word "Aegyptos" by way of the Arabs, who dropped
      > the "Ae-" and the "-os" and pronounced the word as
      > "qubti", which got anglicized as "Copt."
      >
      > As for Patriarch Shenouda's statement the Coptic
      > script dates to the 3rd century B.C.E., I assume that
      > he is referring to the Demotic that contributed the 6
      > or 7 extra-Greek letters to Coptic. I'll take a look
      > at the article.
      >
      > Jeffery Hodges
      >
      > =====
      > Hanshin University (Korean Theological University)
      > 447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      > Yangsandong 411
      > South Korea

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
        Tim Reynolds wrote:

        > At this point you know as much as I do about this
        > material. More, because you probably know what a
        > dyptych is in this context. The website gave me a
        > coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

        No, I don't know much. I was trying to find out more.
        Also, I was myself wondering what a dyptych is in this
        context.

        The website's Coptic alphabet probably wouldn't be the
        best to use for comparison.

        Anyway, I only entered the discussion because of the
        Coptic, which is one of the ancient languages that I
        have to work with.

        I don't know much about Markan traditions.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411