Re: [Synoptic-L] Thesis: Mark Used Cross Gospel in 15:42-16:8, Pt.1

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
      Maluflen@... wrote:

      Ted Weeden wrote"

      > However, I think Mark did draw upon another major source which he used to
      > mine
      > terminology and motifs for his burial story, as well as his empty-tomb story.
      > My thesis is that the source was a pre-Markan Gospel >>

      Leonard replied:

      > Brilliant insight! But of course you don't have to go any further than the
      > Gospel of Matthew to identify this source. Everything you say about the
      > improbability of Mark's doing the kind of research in LXX implied by Karel's
      > theory is precisely what could NOT be said of Matthew. Also, Brown's argument
      > of a common source behind Matthew's scene of guards at the tomb and that
      > found in Gospel of Peter is very weak. And of course one would have to add
      > Daniel 6:18 to the collection of OT texts cited as background for Matthew's
      > midrash. I enjoyed reading your post, though, as I usually do watching people
      > struggling to make sense of the Gospel of Mark without realizing that he is
      > copying from Matt.

      Dear Leonard,

      How would you respond to my objection that Matthew knew Mark: "After the day of
      Preparation" (! comp Mk 15,42) the high priests (plural) and Pharisees "gathered
      before Pilate" and said, "Sir, we remember that what that impostor [sc. Jesus]
      said while he was still alive, 'After three days I will rise again'. Only in Mark
      8,31; 9,31; 10,33f this claim has been made. Matthew himself followed Mark almost
      to the letter in his passion predictions except with regard to the time span. As
      you well know, Mt has "on the third day". It seems to me a strong indication that
      Mt follows and corrects Mark and not the other way around.

      Cordially, Karel