[Synoptic-L] Markan Fatigue?

  • R. Steven Notley
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 10, 2002

      A couple of days ago on this list I mentioned in my dialogue with Leonard Maluflen on Luke 4:16-30 that Mark abbreviated the conflict in Nazareth, thereby creating a "fatigue."  More precisely, after gutting the narrative of any content for Jesus' proclamation, Mark suddenly attempts to return and retain a conflict narrative ("They were offended by him.")  However, Mark in his abbreviation also omitted any reason for the congregation's anger—thus the fatigue vis-a-vis the Lukan tradition.

      If you have followed the ongoing dialogue, you know that the Lukan material in the proclamation (missing in Mark) possesses a high degree of Semitic and Jewish cultural material.  To my mind this  counters the explanation that Luke fabricated this material to fill in the Markan gaps.  Instead, I think he has an independent source(s).

      I am not suggesting that Mark is using Luke here, only Lukan independence (from Mark) and that Mark knew a narrative that looked a lot like Luke's tradition.

      In any event, I do not see how one can make any sense of Mark's story (i.e. congregational anger) without Luke.

      I have not received any comments on this possible "Markan fatigue."  Did anyone take notice (or care)?  Does anyone have another explanation?

      Shalom/eirene/pax
      Steven

    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 8, 2002
        Tim Reynolds wrote:

        > At this point you know as much as I do about this
        > material. More, because you probably know what a
        > dyptych is in this context. The website gave me a
        > coptic alphabet to compare with the font in Evetts.

        No, I don't know much. I was trying to find out more.
        Also, I was myself wondering what a dyptych is in this
        context.

        The website's Coptic alphabet probably wouldn't be the
        best to use for comparison.

        Anyway, I only entered the discussion because of the
        Coptic, which is one of the ancient languages that I
        have to work with.

        I don't know much about Markan traditions.

        Jeffery Hodges

        =====
        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
        Yangsandong 411