Re: [Synoptic-L] a new approach to the correlations

  • dgentil@sears.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 4, 2002
      Hello Brian,

      Your reasoning does not make logical sense to me.
      Let's take a hypothesis where 202 was not written by Matthew, say LTH or
      2ST.
      The only way Matthew can "imprint his style" on 202 is by selecting words.
      Matthew can not have authored any of 202, but by favoring some words over
      others, he
      could leave his mark. In that case 102 would contain words Matthew
      disfavored, and some Luke additions.
      By adding 102+202 together, there is no possible means for Matthew to
      imprint a style on the joint category.
      Any hint of Matthew's favoritism is obliterated by including both
      categories.
      The joint category contains source words (Matthew favored or not), and Luke
      words, but there is no way for Matthew's favoritism of words to show up
      here.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, Illinois
      M.S. Physics
      Ph.D. Management Science candidate

    • David Inglis
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 5, 2002
        Brian Wilson wrote:

        > (Statement 2) A correlation shows a significant negative only if either
        > (1) the two categories do not include the same gospel (for example,
        > 120/112), or (2) one category includes all three synoptists, and the
        > other only Luke, or (3) one category includes Matthew and Mark but not
        > Luke, and the other includes Mark and Luke but not Matthew.

        This statement is undeniably true, because it's been constructed that way.
        All current significant negatives meet one of the three conditions described
        here. However, there are many other pairings of two categories that meet
        one of these conditions that do not have negative results, so Statement (2)
        cannot be used to predict any results (It's like saying that all owls are
        birds. A true statement, but it doesn't help determine whether mice or
        salmon are birds). However, Brian then explains the 3 cases above as
        follows:

        > Case (1) is accounted for by supposing that two different styles have
        > been imposed by two synoptists redacting differently, and case (2) by
        > supposing that the wording present in all three synoptists would be in
        > words significantly different from Luke's style since they would be
        > words common to the styles of all three and therefore lack many of the
        > distinguishing words in Luke, whereas the words in Luke only would have
        > retained the words of Luke's style, this having the same effect as one
        > category having been redacted by one synoptist, and the other having
        > been redacted by another, and case (3) by supposing that the difference
        > between the words of each category would have been the difference
        > between the style of Matthew and the style of Mark, and that this would
        > have had the same effect as one synoptist having redacted one category
        > of material, and another synoptist having redacted the other.

        I have problems with both Case (2) and Case (3), because they are not
        symmetrical with respect to the three synoptists. So, taking just case (2)
        for now I would expect to see the same effect for each of Matthew and Mark
        as well. In addition, based on just the reasoning given above I would also
        expect to see more negative Lukan categories than are currently found. For
        case (2) I would expect to see all the following being negative:

        222/112, 222/102, 222/012, 222/002,
        222/211, 222/210, 222/201, 222/200,
        222/121, 222/120, 222/021, 222/020

        Instead, what we currently have is (? marks values of extremely low
        confidence):

        222/112 = -0.45 (significant)
        222/102 = ?
        222/012 = ?
        222/002 = -0.33 (significant)

        222/211 = ?
        222/210 = -0.16 (at very low confidence)
        222/201 = ?
        222/200 = +0.17 (at low confidence)

        222/121 = ?
        222/120 = ?
        222/021 = ?
        222/020 = +0.27 (at low confidence)

        In other words only 2 cases out of 12 possible categories actually come up
        significantly negative at the moment. Even if we restrict ourselves to just
        Luke, only 2 out of the 4 cases matching Brian's description are negative.
        So, before case (2) can be seriously evaluated I think Brian needs to
        explain:

        1 Why 222/102 and 222/012 do not behave like 222/112 and 222/002;
        2 Why case (2) can be applied to Luke but NOT to Matthew or Mark.

        Finally, the same considerations also apply to Brian's case (3), and so we
        also need an explanation of why case (3) should not be applied to all
        equivalent pairings of the synoptists.

        Without these explanations I find Brian's hypothesis full of holes. It is
        incapable of being falsified currently because it has been defined
        specifically to match just the current set of significant positive and
        negative results, and makes NO predications whatsoever regarding results
        that we are still awaiting. For example, if Brian expanded case (1) above
        to state that ALL correlations between two categories that do not include
        the same gospel will be negative when all the results are in then that would
        be a big step forward. However, at present Brian's approach has been
        constructed so loosely as to be able to accommodate ANY values in the
        results that currently have low confidence. For the approach to be
        considered seriously I think that these holes need to be plugged.

        Dave Inglis
        david@...
        3538 O'Connor Drive
        Lafayette, CA, USA

      • David Inglis
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 5, 2002
          Brian Wilson wrote:

          > On this view, "the same words" indicate the same synoptist as redactor,
          > and "different words" indicate different synoptists having redacted. If
          > your assumption is correct, then my approach should simply grind to a
          > halt if it is tried. It should fail to account easily for at least some
          > of the significant correlations. In fact, however, it easily accounts
          > for every single one of them, including those which have provided so
          > much difficulty under your approach. You write reams on "What IS going
          > on with 221 and 211?" On my approach this requires only one sentence --
          > that the correlation 221-211 is a significant positive because each type
          > of material has been redacted by the same synoptist, Matthew. On my
          > approach, every significant positive correlation can be explained on the
          > assumption that the two types of material concerned have been redacted
          > by the same synoptist. There are no exceptions.
          > >
          > >For example in 200-202, we could claim that 200 is written by Matthew,
          > >and 202 contains words that Matthew found in his source that were
          > >pleasing to Matthew. Therefore both might look like "Matthew". This is
          > >a concern that Mark Goodacre had.
          > >
          > Mark Goodacre's concern was basically the same as mine, I would suggest.
          > It was to question the basic assumption of your approach that "different
          > words" are the result of different authors of sources. In fact the
          > significant positive observed between 200 and 202 is, again, very easy
          > to explain on the new approach as the result of the same author,
          > Matthew, having correlated the material of both types.

          Brian

          If 200 and 202 are alike because both have been redacted by Matthew, then
          according to your approach 201 and 202 are alike for exactly the same
          reason. How then do you account for 102 and 202 being alike, when according
          to your approach 202 must have been redacted by Luke!

          Dave Inglis
          david@...
          3538 O'Connor drive
          Lafayette, CA, USA

        • David Inglis
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 5, 2002
            Brian Wilson wrote in reply to Dave Gentile:

            > I understand you to mean that correlating the (102 + 202) words with the
            > 200 words does not entail comparing Matthew's words with Matthew's
            > words. For this to be true, however, none of the 202 words in (102 +
            > 202) can be Matthew's words. Yet, by definition of 202, all 202 words
            > are the same words in Matthew and Luke, and therefore are Matthew's
            > words.

            This seems to be totally confusing to me. It is true that 202 words are the
            same in both Matthew's Gospel and Luke's Gospel (by definition), but that
            doesn't mean they are therefore Matthew's words, since Matthew could have
            got these words from any number of different places, including for example
            the LT. It appears to me that you are confusing yourself and everybody else
            by using terms such as "Matthew's words" when all you really mean is "words
            in Matthew's Gospel".

            > On some documentary hypotheses, (for instance the Farrer
            > Hypothesis) Luke actually took these words from Matthew! I do not
            > understand why you think that 202 words in Luke are not 202 words in
            > Matthew.

            I see no problem with this. Dave Gentile is fully aware that they are both
            in Luke and Matthew. He's just confused by your use of terms such as
            "Matthew's words" (see above).

            > If they are, then you are comparing a combination of non-
            > Matthean and Matthean words also in Luke, with words in Matthew only.

            Let me here add a plea that in future no-one uses terms like "Matthean
            words" or "Matthew's words" if what is actually meant is "words in Matthew"
            or "words in Matthew's Gospel".

            > >On the LTH, for example, the words in 102+202 are either Luke's words,
            > >or LT words.

            Here I think Dave means "words added by Luke" or "words taken from the LT".
            If so, then his meaning seems perfectly clear.

            > It seems to me that you are still confused. They are either Luke's words
            > or Matthew's words or LT words. 202 words are necessarily in Matthew, by
            > definition of "202". Every single 202 word was in Matthew, according to
            > the LTH.

            If the LTH assumes that Luke and Matthew did not use each others work in any
            way, then either 202 contains words taken from the LT, or exactly the same
            changes made independently by both Matthew and Luke (possible, but very
            unlikely). However, it is impossible on the LTH for any words in 202 to be
            either "Luke's words" or "Matthew's words" (meaning created by Luke and
            Matthew) except for identical chance changes.

            Finally, what do you mean by the last sentence? Not only WERE the 202 words
            in Matthew, but they still ARE, and are so by definition, completely
            independently of any hypothesis.

            Dave Inglis
            david@...
            3538 O'Connor Drive
            Lafayette, CA, USA

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002
              David Inglis wrote --

              >If 200 and 202 are alike because both have been redacted by Matthew,
              >then according to your approach 201 and 202 are alike for exactly the
              >same reason.

              Dave,

              201 and 202 being a significant correlation is consistent with Mt having
              redacted the wording of material found in the double tradition, whether
              omitted by Luke (so producing 201 words) or included by Luke (so
              producing 202 words).

              >How then do you account for 102 and 202 being alike, when according to
              >your approach 202 must have been redacted by Luke!

              By exactly the same line of reasoning. "102" is simply "201" in reverse,
              that is with Mt and Lk interchanged. Just interchange Mt and Lk
              throughout my previous sentence above. The result is --

              102 and 202 being a significant correlation is consistent with Lk having
              redacted the wording of material found in the double tradition, whether
              omitted by Matthew (so producing 102 words) or included by Matthew (so
              producing 202 words).

              The two statements are symmetrical in Mt and Lk. Where is the problem in
              either of them? I really do not see any difficulty.

              _

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002
                Dave Gentile wrote --

                >I am comparing Matthew to Luke, plain and simple. I am not comparing
                >Matthew's words to Matthew's words in any way. On the LTH, for example,
                >the words in 102+202 are either Luke's words, or LT words. 200 is
                >either Matthew's words, or LT's words.

                Brian Wilson replied to Dave Gentile --

                >I understand you to mean that correlating the (102 + 202) words with
                >the 200 words does not entail comparing Matthew's words with Matthew's
                >words. For this to be true, however, none of the 202 words in (102 +
                >202) can be Matthew's words. Yet, by definition of 202, all 202 words
                >are the same words in Matthew and Luke, and therefore are Matthew's
                >words. On some documentary hypotheses, (for instance the Farrer
                >Hypothesis) Luke actually took these words from Matthew! I do not
                >understand why you think that 202 words in Luke are not 202 words in
                >Matthew. If they are, then you are comparing a combination of non-
                >Matthean and Matthean words also in Luke, with words in Matthew only.

                Dave Inglis comments on Brian Wilson's reply --

                >It appears to me that you are confusing yourself and everybody else by
                >using terms such as "Matthew's words" when all you really mean is
                >words in Matthew's Gospel".

                Dave,
                Thanks for pointing out what now seems to me to have been my mis-
                understanding. I understood Dave Gentile's phrase "Matthew's words"
                (quoted above) to mean simply words in Matthew, and I used his phrase in
                this sense in my reply to echo what I thought he meant. If, in fact, he
                did not mean this, but meant rather "words supplied by Matthew in his
                redaction of his source material" then I would suggest Dave Gentile
                should have used a phrase such as "words supplied by Matthew" to make
                his meaning clearer.

                May I make a plea that anyone who wants to refer to words supplied by
                Matthew as he redacted his source material should take care not to use
                the ambiguous phrase "Matthew's words"? Something like "words supplied
                by Matthew" would perhaps be appropriate.

                Brian Wilson continued to Dave Gentile --

                >Every single 202 word was in Matthew, according to the LTH.

                Dave Inglis commented on this --

                >Finally, what do you mean by the last sentence? Not only WERE the 202
                >words in Matthew, but they still ARE, and are so by definition,
                >completely independently of any hypothesis.

                What I said is fully consistent with what you say. I meant that,
                according to the LTH, at the moment in the past when both Mt and Lk had
                both been written by having independently selected material from the LT,
                then every single 202 word was in Matthew. If the 202 words ARE in
                Matthew now, then they WERE in Matthew at that time.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002
                  Brian Wilson wrote --

                  >(Statement 2) A correlation shows a significant negative only if either
                  >(1) the two categories do not include the same gospel (for example,
                  >120/112), or (2) one category includes all three synoptists, and the
                  >other only Luke, or (3) one category includes Matthew and Mark but not
                  >Luke, and the other includes Mark and Luke but not Matthew.

                  Dave Inglis comments --

                  >This statement is undeniably true, because it's been constructed that
                  >way.

                  Dave,
                  On the contrary, the statement is falsifiable. I understand that
                  the data for Pi - Omega has been collated, and the full results may be
                  available soon. If these were to produce a negative correlation for,
                  say, 220-202, then this would be against all three conditions given
                  above. Dozens of other possible falsifications could be cited for
                  Statement 2, and also for Statement 1.

                  >All current significant negatives meet one of the three conditions
                  >described here.

                  I agree. That was what I intended.

                  >However, there are many other pairings of two categories that meet
                  >one of these conditions that do not have negative results

                  which is precisely why I stated the three conditions. I try not to write
                  nonsense.

                  >so Statement (2) cannot be used to predict any results

                  Your argument cannot be valid since I have already predicted that
                  220-202 will not be a significant negative when the full results are
                  available. Many other such predictions can be made.

                  >It's like saying that all owls are birds. A true statement, but it
                  >doesn't help determine whether mice or salmon are birds.

                  Since your simile refers to a false statement, the statement is
                  presumably nothing like saying that all owls are birds.

                  >However, Brian then explains the 3 cases above as follows:
                  >>
                  >> Case (1) is accounted for by supposing that two different styles have
                  >> been imposed by two synoptists redacting differently, and case (2) by
                  >> supposing that the wording present in all three synoptists would be
                  >>in words significantly different from Luke's style since they would be
                  >> words common to the styles of all three and therefore lack many of
                  >>the distinguishing words in Luke, whereas the words in Luke only would
                  >>have retained the words of Luke's style, this having the same effect
                  >>as one category having been redacted by one synoptist, and the other
                  >>having been redacted by another, and case (3) by supposing that the
                  >>difference between the words of each category would have been the
                  >>difference between the style of Matthew and the style of Mark, and
                  >>that this would have had the same effect as one synoptist having
                  >>redacted one category of material, and another synoptist having
                  >>redacted the other.
                  >
                  >I have problems with both Case (2) and Case (3), because they are not
                  >symmetrical with respect to the three synoptists.

                  The observed correlations are not symmetrical with respect to the three
                  synoptists. So there is no basis for your expectation.

                  >So, taking just case (2) for now I would expect to see the same effect
                  >for each of Matthew and Mark as well.

                  Since the observed correlations are not symmetrical with respect to the
                  three synoptists, there is no reason for you to expect any such thing,
                  or any of the other things you go on to consider (on which I will not
                  bother to comment further, since the same argument applies to every one
                  of them).

                  >Without these explanations I find Brian's hypothesis full of holes.

                  The metaphorical holes would seem to have disappeared.

                  >It is incapable of being falsified currently because it has been
                  >defined specifically to match just the current set of significant
                  >positive and negative results

                  On the contrary it is not unfalsifiable since, as I have already shown
                  above, the new approach can be falsified in one fell swoop by the full
                  results about to be released.

                  >and makes NO predications whatsoever regarding results that we are
                  >still awaiting.

                  Not so, is it? I have shown the opposite to be true.

                  Thanks, Dave, for doing me the honour of criticizing my approach.

                  I am still of the view that it is very feasible that Matthew and Luke
                  have edited their source material so heavily that it is impossible to
                  discern the style of any source material they had in common. If we
                  assume the 2DH, they both used Mk, and hypothetical Q. If we did not
                  have Mk, however, we would not be able significantly to reconstruct the
                  style of Mk from Mt and Lk. Moreover, assuming Q existed, all we have
                  for certain that was in Q are the agreements of wording between Mt and
                  Lk in "minimal Q" in the double tradition. Just as we cannot reconstruct
                  the style of Mark from Matthew and Luke, so we cannot reconstruct the
                  style of Q from Matthew and Luke. Some scholars who staunchly affirm the
                  2DH, explicitly affirm that it is impossible to determine the style of
                  Q, if it existed. I would suggest, therefore, we should definitely not
                  be assuming that the observed correlations can be used to check the
                  existence of documentary sources of the synoptic gospels. My view is
                  that we should not be thinking in terms of using the observed
                  correlations to determine the supposed effect of the styles of authors
                  of sources of the synoptic gospels. Rather we should be using the
                  observed correlations, together with a synoptic documentary hypothesis,
                  to understand more fully how each synoptist has redacted the sources
                  posited on that documentary hypothesis. For instance, if we advocate
                  the 2DH, then the correlations should be used to understand more fully
                  how Mt and Lk redacted Mk, and how they redacted Q. This should enable a
                  deeper understanding, of course, of the approach of each synoptist to
                  his source material, and therefore provide greater insights into the way
                  of thinking of each synoptist. In a nut-shell, I see the observed
                  correlations as a valuable tool for redaction critics, but of no use to
                  source critics.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Brian Wilson wrote:

                    > David Inglis wrote --
                    > >
                    > >If 200 and 202 are alike because both have been redacted by Matthew,
                    > >then according to your approach 201 and 202 are alike for exactly the
                    > >same reason.
                    > >
                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > 201 and 202 being a significant correlation is consistent with Mt having
                    > redacted the wording of material found in the double tradition, whether
                    > omitted by Luke (so producing 201 words) or included by Luke (so
                    > producing 202 words).
                    > >
                    > >How then do you account for 102 and 202 being alike, when according to
                    > >your approach 202 must have been redacted by Luke!
                    > >
                    > By exactly the same line of reasoning. "102" is simply "201" in reverse,
                    > that is with Mt and Lk interchanged. Just interchange Mt and Lk
                    > throughout my previous sentence above. The result is --
                    >
                    > 102 and 202 being a significant correlation is consistent with Lk having
                    > redacted the wording of material found in the double tradition, whether
                    > omitted by Matthew (so producing 102 words) or included by Matthew (so
                    > producing 202 words).
                    >
                    > The two statements are symmetrical in Mt and Lk. Where is the problem in
                    > either of them? I really do not see any difficulty.

                    Yes, the two statements are symmetrical, but they are mutually inconsistent.
                    You have "or included by Luke (so producing 202 words)" and "or included by
                    Matthew (so producing 202 words)". This is impossible! Luke and Matthew
                    cannot together have created 202, and I have no clue as to why you think
                    that they can. Either 202 came from a different source (e.g. the LT), in
                    which case neither Luke nor Matthew redacted it, or it one created/redacted
                    it and the other copied that wording. Perhaps Dave Gentile or someone else
                    can point out a flaw in my reasoning, because I can't.

                    Dave Inglis
                    david@...
                    3538 O'Connor Drive
                    Lafayette, CA, USA

                  • David Inglis
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 6, 2002
                      Brian Wilson wrote:

                      > >> Case (1) is accounted for by supposing that two different styles have
                      > >> been imposed by two synoptists redacting differently, and case (2) by
                      > >> supposing that the wording present in all three synoptists would be
                      > >>in words significantly different from Luke's style since they would be
                      > >> words common to the styles of all three and therefore lack many of
                      > >>the distinguishing words in Luke, whereas the words in Luke only would
                      > >>have retained the words of Luke's style, this having the same effect
                      > >>as one category having been redacted by one synoptist, and the other
                      > >>having been redacted by another, and case (3) by supposing that the
                      > >>difference between the words of each category would have been the
                      > >>difference between the style of Matthew and the style of Mark, and
                      > >>that this would have had the same effect as one synoptist having
                      > >>redacted one category of material, and another synoptist having
                      > >>redacted the other.
                      > >
                      > >I have problems with both Case (2) and Case (3), because they are not
                      > >symmetrical with respect to the three synoptists.
                      > >
                      > The observed correlations are not symmetrical with respect to the three
                      > synoptists. So there is no basis for your expectation.

                      Here's the proof that you have constructed your theory just to meet the
                      current results, because you are ignoring case (2) WRT Matthew and Mark.
                      Case (2) above currently works only for Luke, and doesn't work for Matthew
                      or Mark. Unless you extend your theory to include Matthew and Mark here,
                      then it is incomplete, i.e. "full of holes".

                      Dave Inglis
                      david@...
                      3538 O'Connor Drive

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 7, 2002
                        Dave Gentile wrote --

                        >Your reasoning does not make logical sense to me.

                        Dave,
                        I understand you to mean that generally you do not find my new
                        approach logical, although you give no reasons for this.

                        >Let's take a hypothesis where 202 was not written by Matthew, say LTH
                        >or 2ST.

                        Fine. Let us suppose the LTH -- that each synoptist independently used
                        the common source (call it "LT" for present purposes) to form his
                        gospel, redacting the wording of the LT material he used. 202 words are
                        defined as the same words appearing in Mt and Lk in double tradition
                        passages. On the LTH, all the passages containing these words were in
                        the LT. They are material that Mt and Lk independently chose to use from
                        the LT but which Mk chose to omit.

                        >The only way Matthew can "imprint his style" on 202 is by selecting
                        >words.

                        On the LTH, if Lk redacted more strongly than Mt, and Mt more strongly
                        than Mk, the 202 words would tend to be strongly in Luke's style and
                        fairly strongly in Matthew's style, and to some extent still in the
                        style of LT (and , to a lesser extent, in the style of Mark).

                        >Matthew can not have authored any of 202, but by favoring some words
                        >over others, he could leave his mark.

                        The fact that he retained them from LT suggests that the words may
                        indicate his style to some extent.

                        >In that case 102 would contain words Matthew disfavored.

                        No. The argument is not valid. I may not have a large new Mercedes-Benz
                        limousine on my drive, but that does not mean I would dis-favour having
                        one! If 102 are words of which a significant proportion were LT words
                        that Mt omitted but Lk retained, then they could still have been words
                        that Mt favoured. He may have omitted phrases containing these words
                        because of their meaning, irrespective of whether they consisted of
                        words that he would, or would not, have used when writing in his own
                        style. In other words, his intention may simply have been to abbreviate
                        LT material. Of course, other 102 words could have been supplied by
                        Luke. On the LTH, Luke redacted his LT source material more heavily than
                        Mt, and even more heavily than Mk. So it is likely that some 102 words
                        were supplied by Lk. Insofar as the 102 words are words omitted by Mt
                        but retained by Lk from LT, they may indicate something of the style of
                        the common source -- LT. Insofar, however, that 102 words were supplied
                        by Lk and therefore not taken from LT, they may indicate something of
                        the style of Luke. I think your argument above is therefore not valid.
                        For if Mt omitted a significant proportion of the 102 words from LT, it
                        does not follow at all that they were words he would not have used when
                        writing in his own style. A significant proportion of them, therefore,
                        may be words that Mt did not disfavour. Generally, the words of 102
                        would indicate to some extent the style of Luke, and to some extent the
                        style of LT, but they are not necessarily words that Mt disfavoured.

                        >and some Luke additions.

                        Yes. As I have suggested, Luke probably added some of the 102 words
                        which are therefore an indication of his style. Even those he took from
                        LT (words that Mt omitted), would be something of an indication of his
                        style.

                        >By adding 102+202 together, there is no possible means for Matthew to
                        >imprint a style on the joint category.

                        I understand you to mean two completely separate things -- (1) that the
                        style of Mt could not be indicated by 102 words, and (2) that the style
                        of Mt could not be indicated by 202 words. In the case of (1), I would
                        say that the 102 words can give no positive indication of the style of
                        Mt, but I would want to add that they are not necessarily words that Mt
                        would disfavour. I disagree with (2), however, since 202 words are LT
                        words fairly strongly redacted by Mt, and would therefore probably give
                        some indication of the style of Mt.

                        >Any hint of Matthew's favoritism is obliterated by including both
                        >categories.

                        No. This is wrong. The words of 202 would carry some indication of
                        "Matthew's favoritism" because they are the result of Mt having fairly
                        strongly redacted the wording of LT material.

                        >The joint category contains source words (Matthew favored or not), and
                        >Luke words

                        We should deal separately with each category. The 202 words were all
                        words from LT. Some 102 words were words that Mt omitted from LT and
                        that Lk retained, but other 102 words were supplied by Lk and were
                        therefore not LT words.

                        >but there is no way for Matthew's favoritism of words to show up here.

                        I disagree, because Mt fairly strong redacted the wording of LT material
                        he used, and therefore 202 words would indicate the style of Mt to some
                        extent.

                        My basic assumption is that if two different HHBC categories tend to
                        prefer the same words, there is a good chance that the material
                        containing them was redacted by the same synoptist. Conversely, if two
                        different categories tend to prefer different words, there is a good
                        chance that the material containing them was redacted by different
                        synoptists. I would suggest that this hypothesis is sufficient to
                        account easily for all the observed significant correlations between
                        HHBC categories, and makes very good sense of the results of the
                        Principle Component Analysis and the Average Linkage Cluster TREE
                        Analysis. I find this new approach fully consistent with the LTH.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 7, 2002
                          Brian Wilson wrote --

                          >Case (1) is accounted for by supposing that two different styles have
                          >been imposed by two synoptists redacting differently, and case (2) by
                          >supposing that the wording present in all three synoptists would be
                          >in words significantly different from Luke's style since they would be
                          >words common to the styles of all three and therefore lack many of
                          >the distinguishing words in Luke, whereas the words in Luke only would
                          >have retained the words of Luke's style, this having the same effect
                          >as one category having been redacted by one synoptist, and the other
                          >having been redacted by another, and case (3) by supposing that the
                          >difference between the words of each category would have been the
                          >difference between the style of Matthew and the style of Mark, and
                          >that this would have had the same effect as one synoptist having
                          >redacted one category of material, and another synoptist having
                          >redacted the other.

                          Dave Inglis replied --

                          >Here's the proof that you have constructed your theory just to meet
                          >the current results

                          Dave,
                          As a matter of fact you are wrong. That is not what happened. I
                          know, because I was the one who formulated the hypothesis. It was
                          inspired by using my computer to move around columns and rows of entries
                          in my own table of correlations results. In one re-arrangement I was
                          surprised to find only three "squares" of entries. Most re-arrangements
                          were much more complicated. These three squares correspond to the three
                          cases I list. Even so, it does not matter two cents how a hypothesis is
                          produced. Any hypothesis necessarily goes beyond any data for which it
                          accounts. What matters is whether the hypothesis works. This one does.

                          >because you are ignoring case (2) WRT Matthew and Mark. Case (2) above
                          >currently works only for Luke, and doesn't work for Matthew or Mark.

                          Yes. It is supposed to work only for Luke. In fact, it works very well
                          for Luke.

                          >Unless you extend your theory to include Matthew and Mark here, then it
                          >is incomplete, i.e. "full of holes".

                          If it works, which it does, then it is complete. There is no need to
                          extend a hypothesis that works. To do so, in fact, would contravene
                          Occam's Razor.

                          pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

                          >I have problems with both Case (2) and Case (3), because they are not
                          >symmetrical with respect to the three synoptists.

                          Brian Wilson responded --

                          >The observed correlations are not symmetrical with respect to the three
                          >synoptists. So there is no basis for your expectation.

                          Dave Inglis now replies --

                          >Here's the proof that you have constructed your theory just to meet the
                          >current results, because you are ignoring case (2) WRT Matthew and
                          >Mark. Case (2) above currently works only for Luke, and doesn't work
                          >for Matthew or Mark.

                          Unless you extend your theory to include Matthew and Mark here,
                          >then it is incomplete, i.e. "full of holes".
                          >
                          >Dave Inglis
                          >david@...
                          >3538 O'Connor Drive
                          >

                          >Synoptic-L Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l

                          Brian E. Wilson

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 7, 2002
                            Brian Wilson wrote --

                            >Case (1) is accounted for by supposing that two different styles have
                            >been imposed by two synoptists redacting differently, and case (2) by
                            >supposing that the wording present in all three synoptists would be
                            >in words significantly different from Luke's style since they would be
                            >words common to the styles of all three and therefore lack many of
                            >the distinguishing words in Luke, whereas the words in Luke only would
                            >have retained the words of Luke's style, this having the same effect
                            >as one category having been redacted by one synoptist, and the other
                            >having been redacted by another, and case (3) by supposing that the
                            >difference between the words of each category would have been the
                            >difference between the style of Matthew and the style of Mark, and
                            >that this would have had the same effect as one synoptist having
                            >redacted one category of material, and another synoptist having
                            >redacted the other.

                            Dave Inglis responded --

                            >I have problems with both Case (2) and Case (3), because they are not
                            >symmetrical with respect to the three synoptists.

                            Brian Wilson answered --

                            >The observed correlations are not symmetrical with respect to the three
                            >synoptists. So there is no basis for your expectation.

                            Dave Inglis now replies --

                            >Here's the proof that you have constructed your theory just to meet
                            >the current results

                            Dave,
                            As a matter of fact you are wrong. That is not what happened. I
                            know, because I was the one who formulated the hypothesis. It was
                            inspired by using my computer to move around columns and rows of entries
                            in my own table of correlations results. In one re-arrangement I was
                            surprised to find only three "squares" of entries. Most re-arrangements
                            were much more complicated. Also, I noticed, the three squares
                            corresponded to the first three groups in the Average Linkage Cluster
                            TREE Procedure results. The three Cases were inspired by these two
                            observations apparently pointing to a tri-partite division. Even so, it
                            does not matter two cents how a hypothesis is produced. Any hypothesis
                            necessarily goes beyond any data for which it accounts. The
                            psychological route by which it is reached is irrelevant. What matters
                            is whether the hypothesis works. This one does.

                            >because you are ignoring case (2) WRT Matthew and Mark. Case (2) above
                            >currently works only for Luke, and doesn't work for Matthew or Mark.

                            Yes. Case 2 is supposed to work only for Luke. In fact, it works very
                            well for Luke. That's fine.

                            >Unless you extend your theory to include Matthew and Mark here, then it
                            >is incomplete, i.e. "full of holes".

                            If it works, which it does, then it is complete. There is no need to
                            extend a hypothesis that works. To do so, in fact, would contravene
                            Occam's Razor.

                            I think you should take note of the asymmetry of the Average Linkage
                            Cluster TREE Procedure results, and also of the asymmetry of the
                            Principle Component Analysis results, as well as the obvious asymmetry
                            in the table of significant positive and significant negative results.
                            The prevalent asymmetry of the observed results corresponds, in my view,
                            to the idea that Lk redacted more heavily than Matthew, and Matthew more
                            heavily than Mark, which accounts for the three Cases described above.