Re: [Synoptic-L] online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors

  • Tim Reynolds
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Or an animated version of early Christianity, different colors for Jews,
      Jerusalem foundations, Pauline foundations.

      tim

      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

      > With apologies for cross posting:
      >
      > Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
      > which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
      > over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
      > Ptolemys and the Selucids?
      >
      > I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
      > demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
      > the time of Diocletian and Constantine.
      >
      > Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
      > something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
      > has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
      > is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.
      >
      > Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
      > where to look for all of this.
      >
      > Yours,
      >
      > Jeffrey Gibson
      >
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      > Floor 1
      > Chicago, Illinois 60626
      > e-mail jgibson000@...
      > jgibson000@...

    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

        > A hobbit friend of mine, whose selflessness in doing research for me
        always
        > amazes me, has found a page that speaks to some of what I was hoping
        for. It may
        > be found at:
        >

        > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html

        Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can
        learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after
        a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly
        expected to get such an answer ;-)

        Best Wishes,

        Ken

        Kenneth A. Olson
        Graduate Teaching Assistant
        Department of History
        2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
        University of Maryland
        College Park, MD 20742
        kaolson@...

        I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
        Huxley