Re: [Synoptic-L] online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      "Thomas R. W. Longstaff" wrote:

      > If anyone knows of such maps, please reply to the list. Although this query
      > is off-topic for Synoptic-L, it is something that will be of interest to
      > many of us and, I think, this message itself is quite acceptable for
      > Synoptic-L. Nevertheless, I would advise against a discussion of map
      > technology on Synoptic-L although information about where maps such as the
      > one Jeffrey wants would, in my mind, be acceptable.

      A hobbit friend of mine, whose selflessness in doing research for me always
      amazes me, has found a page that speaks to some of what I was hoping for. It may
      be found at:

      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html

      You will need the Shockwave plug-in to view the animated maps. Maps requiring
      that are so noted.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • Tim Reynolds
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        Or an animated version of early Christianity, different colors for Jews,
        Jerusalem foundations, Pauline foundations.

        tim

        "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

        > With apologies for cross posting:
        >
        > Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
        > which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
        > over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
        > Ptolemys and the Selucids?
        >
        > I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
        > demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
        > the time of Diocletian and Constantine.
        >
        > Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
        > something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
        > has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
        > is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.
        >
        > Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
        > where to look for all of this.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Jeffrey Gibson
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Floor 1
        > Chicago, Illinois 60626
        > e-mail jgibson000@...
        > jgibson000@...

      • Ken Olson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

          > A hobbit friend of mine, whose selflessness in doing research for me
          always
          > amazes me, has found a page that speaks to some of what I was hoping
          for. It may
          > be found at:
          >

          > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html

          Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can
          learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after
          a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly
          expected to get such an answer ;-)

          Best Wishes,

          Ken

          Kenneth A. Olson
          Graduate Teaching Assistant
          Department of History
          2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
          University of Maryland
          College Park, MD 20742
          kaolson@...

          I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything - T.H.
          Huxley